Lost. | Teen Ink

Lost.

By kyteorite BRONZE, Singapore, Other
kyteorite BRONZE, Singapore, Other

The stars dawn upon the night sky

and I gaze;

not at the stars,

but at the heavens,

seeking an answer,

only to find that I am lost all over again.

With each waking moment,

I dream about the possibilities

of going back to the past.

Seemingly so real

yet unreachable.

I hope.

But what can hope do,

if the last glimmer of light

has already been extinguished?

My steps are unstable;

so is my heart.

Uncertainty dwells,

a dreaded sense of fear for the future.

She is no longer here,

the woman who cared for me,

the woman who taught me love;

not just for others,

but for ourselves.

Love.

It tears at my heart,

and at that moment,

at that fleeting moment

I curse it.

I have chosen to dwell on the idea of focusing on an individual person, as through my writing journey so far, I have realised that I always like to broaden the perspectives, such that they encompasses huge groups of people, or even humanity as a whole. Thus, by giving this piece a shot, I actually made use of one of the prose techniques, whereby we used songs to give us emotions to come up with a piece, and did it on a poem instead. Since I was listening to a more melodic and soothing tune, I came up with the feeling an idea of a “thought poem”, whereby the character is hoping for a better age to come. This poem talks of how this character has just lost his mother, and he is now at a loss of what to do, such that he has lost his direction in life, and keeps bringing his mind back to the past, even when he knows that he can never go back to the past again. This is one of my shorter poems, as I usually write poems of around 400 words each, thus I hope that this poem will have an intended impact on the readers, through stronger words.