Debris

I still remember the days when you would soar across the open skies Arms outstretched in the air Ready to catch anything that would come in your way But then one day, you didn't catch a breeze, made a wrong turn And winded up with handfuls of debris and disappointment So you stopped trying You folded yourself in Crumbled yourself into a ball  Like an unfinished poem you'd scrunch up and toss over your shoulder When you decide you don't want to finish it But darling, you're being too hard on yourself You aren't allowing yourself space to make mistakes Forcing yourself to walk when you have yet to learn to crawl Take it easy The world is a safe place to make mistakes Mistakes are what make us up So uncrumble yourself, unfold Smoothen out your old creases and fold yourself into an origami bird instead No matter how many times you mess up, the sun still rises again every morning to remind you that it is not the end of the world Even though it may feel like it is sometimes You can't touch yesterday, so why in the world are you letting it touch you? Tear out the pages of your old journals, and set them to flames The past is in the past; it's never coming back All that's left of the past is fading memories, lessons learnt, and pages going up into smoke None of which can hurt you Just take advantage of the past Use it as your guidance Don't be afraid to outstretch your arms again It'll be alright, darling You're alright

BeilaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 20, 2015 at 3:20 am
I completely agree with the last person. This is such a beautiful, inspirational piece! You made me feel carefree and safe, which is funny because I really don't know who you are at all. Your style definitely touched me; you have a great connection with the reader in your writing. Out of curiosity, what was the intent behind letting the poem run together instead of breaking lines? This is for sure a work of art!

HudaZavery replied...
Hi there! aw thank you so much :D I actually had breaks in between the lines, but for some reason, my poem wasnt posted as I had wished. Anyways, thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

CagelessBirdEmilyDickinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 31, 2014 at 1:58 am
I can't belive that I am the first one to comment. I hope more people comment! Because you deserve it. This is such a inspiring, beautiful, encouraging, wonderful, and all in all, full of amazingness. It has depth, emotion, and you. Thank you for sharing this!

HudaZavery replied...
Wow thanks so much, your comment really made my day!