Faces This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Yesterday was Sunday. The day I dress up
and smile at everyone. Listen to everyone’s
problems and hand out free compliments. I
sit still and pay attention to the choir.
The never-do-anything-wrong girl.

During the week, I dress down. I act
like my friends and laugh at the cost of others.
I hug someone, then go and tell my friends how
ugly that someone looks today.
The go-along, tag-along girl.

At home, I am what my parents want
me to be. I sit still at dinner, do my
homework, listen to the stories they
tell of their day. The super-special daddy’s girl.

All of these faces I have confuse me. I’m never
quite sure who I am at the time, Or if I am the
right person with the right people. Yesterday,
I was the got-it-all-together girl. Today I’m the
not-sure-of-anything girl.

rwbDragonfly said...
Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:54 pm:
It was beautiful i feel the exact same way... not knowing who you are and just wanting to do the right thing but losing yourself whoever that may be  

SpyceChik said...
The message is very clear. Well done.

OldYoungOne said...
I understand the feeling. Good Job.

becca2013 said...
LOVE! This is an awesome poem and is so true!

Zithia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
1st stanza is fabulous and has great flow. I love it.  Wouldn't do a thing to change it.   I love the sentences is the other stanzas, but I feel that the line breaks make it too choppy.  However, the content of this poem is great, as is the title.

drewnowater This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
very intriguing and excellent word choice! we are often caught up in how to act around certain people and in certain circumstances, and you captured this feeling perfectly.

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow! This is extremely interesting, and something all of us can relate to. At times, I am told "just be yourself", but I don't really know who that is anymore. Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! Thanks!

phlogistonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm:
This is absolutely so relatable! Just keep on being you. You are a great writer.

outsider said...
May 6, 2012 at 10:53 pm:
This is a work that i think everyone can relate to, one that's read then thought about and complemented

reman5 said...
Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:39 am:
I understand the situation your presenting here, even sympathise with it because just like you and many others, sometimes I need to wear "masks" and "faces" to fit and survive the day, but all of us must understand that the "faces" & "masks" are just places to hide from who we really because we're afraid some people might not like us for who we are...

ImagineLots said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm:
I think this is my favorite poem that I have read so far on this site. It is simple yet so brilliant. Love it.

AlexisNicole822 said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:01 am:
Whoa, I can verrrrrry much relate to this poem. I am me, but I wear many different faces and personalities depending on who I'm with because I'm afraid. You stated you're just confused, which I felt for a while. Anyway, this is amazing.

Kingdom_of_the_Forgotten said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm:
I feel the same, too often for comfort. Becoming a little more selfish for awhile with every face might help a little. Just remember to become the person you want to be when you find it.

Madisela M. said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:52 am:
Nice work.. I know how u feel (:

JessicaCason said...
This is amazing I can relate to it more than anything I've read on here. KEEP WRITING! c:

WhatislibertyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Teenage life is all about struggling to find one's place in this fast moving world; brilliant :)

cebomar9 said...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 7:17 am:
i love this because it's one of those subjects i think about all the time but could never find the words to put it in

GirlGamer54This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i loved it!

MadiPaige said...
Amazing! And it's true, you know. This is most people's daily life. Way to put it in aware!

emma_holla said...
Who you are as a person and your emotions are conveyed SO well in this :) Keep on writing, you're truly talented!