Things I'll tell myself when I'm sad | Teen Ink

Things I'll tell myself when I'm sad

August 7, 2014
By Pdvarona PLATINUM, Miami, Florida
Pdvarona PLATINUM, Miami, Florida
28 articles 0 photos 1 comment

1.
Some nights you’ll be hurting. You’ll be sitting on your bedroom floor with your back against the closet door wondering how you got here. When that moment comes remember that there is more time yet to come than what has passed. The sun has been burning for 4 billion years, but it’s still got 6 billion more to light up our skies each morning. You have more time to rise, remember that.
2.
When you’re looking up at the sky on Sunday nights and get frustrated because you can’t make out the constellations you so long to see; remember that it’s a blessing to see each twinkling star as individuals. We are all our own separate stories, even the stars, and you can see that.
3.
He’s going to tell you he loves you, and maybe he’ll mean it. But when the breath catches in your throat and you decide to say it back, know that words are just that. To think they are more is a dangerous thing.
4.
Take a moment and look up at the crystal blue sky above you. What do you see? If your answer isn’t a rabbit’s tail or Mickey Mouse ears, you’re not looking hard enough. When did you stop seeing with your imagination? Find your inner child. Rejoice in its simple joys.
5.
When you walk into a big, foreign city and can’t even seem to recognize yourself, remember that everyone has been lost once. And somehow everyone has been able to find themselves in the cracks in concrete and strange named streets. Get lost. There’s plenty of time to discover yourself.
6.
Music won’t always fix everything. But yelling the lyrics of your favorite cold play song out your car window will. I promise.
7.
Next time, don’t think twice about sending that message, dance with that boy across the room smiling at you, take the drink and feel it sting on your throat, say yes to plans even when you feel like the world is crumbling, wake up to see the sun rise out on your front lawn, scream at that concert even if everyone is silent, take that risk even if you’re terrified. Life is short, You know that. Feel alive while you can.