The Alpha’s Competitor | Teen Ink

The Alpha’s Competitor

August 5, 2014
By PriyankaD. GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
PriyankaD. GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
12 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul.
Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.

Pamela Vaull Starr


When the alpha feels challenged
By another, steadily gaining strength;
He displays all his power and might,
Finds reasons to show that he’s the sovereign.

He lifts his head to show he’s taller,
He growls to show his brawn.
He circles around his opponent to show his cunning,
Fangs bristling, ready to pounce.

But, how long do you think,
This effrontery will go unnoticed?
The other steps up, accepts the challenge,
And now shall the battle begin.

One jumps forward, thirsty for revenge,
The other, no less, pounces upon him
The alpha sinks his vicious fangs into the enemy,
Who claws at his throat, drawing blood.

But what is this, I now witness,
The competitor walks away, and attacks no more;
With lightning speed, he seizes a rabbit,
And keeps it right in front of the alpha.

The alpha, his eyes now slits,
Warily watches this wolf;
Who ceases fighting to offer him food,
And now stands with no intent to fight anymore.

He then realizes how fruitless it was,
To think himself high and mighty,
For the mightiest of all is that living being,
Who knows to live in harmony.


The author's comments:
Musings on Discrimination…...And Resolving It




When one hears the word “Discrimination”, the first picture that comes to mind is that of a sign saying - “For Whites Only”. People feel that segregation is a very blatant, violent act of intolerance towards another seemingly ‘different’ person. However, after reading many letters, quotes and poems, listening to songs and discussing this with various people, I’ve realized that discrimination can also take a subtle, but none the less cruel, turn.


How often has one judged a person’s capability by their outward appearance? Many feel an immediate sense of distrust when they see a person of African-American, Caucasian or Native American origin (depending on their background). The main reason for such unjustified emotion is that people don’t try to understand the other as a UNIQUE individual with his/her own sense of morals, beliefs, feelings etc. Coupled with ignorance and a few graphic, misrepresented caricatures, they form stereotypes to classify the other person into a ‘category’.


Through this poem, I have tried to portray the emotion that the majority experiences upon perceiving a ‘threat’ to their success. This is a poem about a wolf pack, which surprisingly shares many social characteristics with its human equivalents - communities, towns, cities etc.

The alpha is the male leader of a wolf pack, and always receives the priority while sharing the kill, leading the pack in migration etc. He symbolizes the majority in a human community. When faced with a threat, in the form of a stronger newcomer, the alpha tries his best to ‘remove him from the scene’.The newcomer too tries to defend himself when conflict between the two arises, and both inflict serious injuries upon each other, much like the damages during riots. However, the other wolf soon realizes that there is a much more peaceful way to resolve the conflict, so he offers a prey as a peace treaty. This way, both of them can rule the pack and develop a better understanding of each other.