Princess | Teen Ink

Princess

By Colormecrazie BRONZE, Woodhaven, New York
Colormecrazie BRONZE, Woodhaven, New York

"Hide your face so the world will never find you"

Since I was little I thought that I was a princess A princess in disguise That the world that I grew up in It was all a lie That my prince was coming to get me In my mind I had all these ravings Because for some reason I thought that I needed saving Now that I'm older I finally see That I'm no princess I'm just me I realize that no one can save me No one but me Maybe I'm not the star Maybe my sister's the princess Cause that's just who we are We can't control what will happen Only how we react One of the many facts of life Sometimes I'm still hoping Hoping for my prince to come Then again Maybe I'm damage beyond repair Maybe too damaged to even care I took the poison apple willingly No trickery or treachery I feel like an actress And all the world's a stage I look them in the eye And lie to everyone's face Because they want to hear that I'm alright Not talk me through the night To look me in the eye and tell me the cliche lie That everything is going to be ok So I lay Lay there thinking But that thinking turns to cutting I gotta cut to feel To be alive To know that everything is real Even with the knives in front of me I don't cut to kill But it kills me not to cut I spend all my time trying to hide That it makes me want to claw myself out from the inside It hurts my heart To feel like I'm being torn a part So I take that knife to my wrist and I cry Cause I wished I was the princess I thought I was on the inside But I don't want to die I want to live knowing that I'm alive

I tell people that this piece isn't about me, that all of it is about another girl in a book that I read. The truth? I did get some of the inspiration from a book, but a lot of these feelings are mine. My poem, it is about how the more you wish to be someone else, the more you lose yourself.