Extenuating Circumstances | Teen Ink

Extenuating Circumstances

June 22, 2014
By FutureEnglishTeacher SILVER, Spokane, Washington
FutureEnglishTeacher SILVER, Spokane, Washington
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A ship in it's harbor is safe, but that's not what ships were built for.


Because we are very, very lucky. One may not think so, but we know we are.
Because we were very, very scared and overwhelmed.
Because our puppies were left in our house by themselves…a rare treat for them.
Because we all live within an earshot.
Because our neighbors are quick, caring, and know just what to do.
Because my mom was a simple phone call away.
Because they’re both okay, despite the way they look.
Because bumps and bruises heal.
Because she is in high spirits. “I comforted the lady at the scene. Poor thing, she was fairly distraught.”
Because the lady felt terrible, apologizing over and over.
Because, even though she was laughing about it when she got home, that was a real October Scare.
Because she can now tell us all what it’s like to ride in an ambulance.
Because she says it’s just like the movies, where everything is a blur with flashing lights. It’s exactly as it is depicted.
Because it serves as a poignant reminder to hold our family close and cherish every moment.
Because, when this happens to two 70+ year olds, everyone suffers alongside them, whether they know it or not.
Because there was blood, her blood—a pool of red on the street.
Because they thought the lady would stop. Everybody stops.
Because the lady wasn’t paying attention.
Because something was more important.
Because it only takes one second.
Because at least the lady wasn’t drunk, high, or intentional in her actions.
Because it was an early, foggy morning, crisp autumn leaves dotting the streets.
Because all will fully recover.
Because sometimes, it’s okay to be a few minutes late to school.
Because my best friend knew something was wrong as soon as I walked in.
Because the hug I received was exactly what I needed.
Because finding the correct number of ions or describing trends on the periodic table requires a clear head, which was muddled with thought.
Because our family is bonded with a sealant that cannot be broken.
Because it is rather difficult to explain to a six year old without sparking nightmares and worried days.
Because all you want is for everyone to be fine.
Because you love her so, so much, and you need her in your life. You need her to be okay. You need her to be there.
Because the text that said she’s going home from the hospital makes you squeal with relief and joy, emotion gaining momentum.
Because you are there for her, as the rest of the family is.
Because you don’t know heartache until you see your grandmother lying in the middle of the street.


The author's comments:
Written after Joyce Carol Oates' "Extenuating Circumstances" for a Creative Writing assignment, I decided to explore a recent event that took me on an emotional roller coaster. Enjoy :)