Daddy | Teen Ink

Daddy

By Kileigh Erickson BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin
Kileigh Erickson BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin

She had a game between her father and her. Play it every night just as he walked in the door. She’d hide under the chair and begin to squeak like a mouse until he searched and he searched throughout the whole entire house. He’d search and he’d wonder calling “were did you go?” until he’d come around the corner and find her in her usual spot. She’d squeak and she’d giggle because the game never got old.

Until one day when she hid and she squeaked but nobody came. She ran to the kitchen and found him just reading and so she began pleading “pick me up daddy, pick me up please!” He said without looking “I have other things to do. Go find your mother. Maybe she’ll play with you.”

His rejection set in for the next couple years. No squeak game, no giggles, only work came, and signals that things were changing, changing for the worst.

If only you knew the struggle she’d been through.
When she looked up to see only the sky instead of a loving father’s eyes.
Daddy, where’d you go?

She didn’t think it would affect her, not having a dad. But the lack of a father showed her a hole in her heart where courage, audacity, and hope didn’t fit the part.

And years later, when that girl who was refused by her daddy is standing in the back of a church in a pearly white dress, who’s gonna tell me he’s proud of me? That I’m his princess, That he loves me.

When Atticus Finch sat down with Scout and revealed to her the mysteries and struggles and buried bombshells that take a long time to heal, I read it, wishing that I had that someone to warn me that life isn’t going to be all sunshine and rainbows. But instead that life will leave scars for all who try hard.
But don’t worry, he’d tell me, I’ll be there with you.
Your steps will be protected, that much is true.

Too bad that his kindness was all in my dreams.
because when that moment passes and I flash back to reality,
Here is a daughter standing alone.

And even though I have a heavenly father watching over me, all I desperately want is a daddy to wrap his arms around me and say
it’s ok darling… He wasn’t the one.
It’s ok darling… I’d not going anywhere.
It’s ok darling… I’m gonna protect you with all that I am because you are my world, my princess, and my baby girl.

But one never came
So here is a daughter standing alone.

And as I search in my messed up world for that father figure of mine, I find that teachers and youth leaders and family friends are the closes thing I get. But they all go home to their own princess and leave me behind saying but what about me?
Who will kiss me every night?
Who will wipe away my tears?
Who will brush away my fears?
Who will make me laugh and smile?
Who will walk me down that wedding aisle?
Who will call me his daughter?

The one redeeming thing that comes out of this mess is that I get to choose the father of my own future stress. And when I find that one, I’ll know he’s the one.
When he tucks our daughter into bed, looks at her and promises:
I will kiss you every night.
I will wipe away your tears.
I will brush away your fears.
I will make you laugh and smile.
I will walk you down that wedding aisle.
I will call my daughter.
Because when I look at you I can’t begin to understand how I got so lucky to get you as my baby girl.

But this life is only temporary.

So daddys, be good to your daughters
because she looks up to you for guidance and for strength and for stability
Without you, her world could crumble and leave her broken down

So daddys tell her you love her and tell her you care
because love that’s true is hard to find and care that’s natural is one of a kind
and you are the only one who can love her as a daddy.

So daddys tell her you’re proud of her
because a proud daddy means more to her than all the chocolate and flowers, and cards she could get. But never forget, those things are still good yet.

So daddys, don’t forget your daughter is important
because one day she’ll be gone and all you’ll have left is a mile of memories
so don’t take those days for granted, don’t let yourself get distracted
Because even though she’ll someday find her prince, you will always be her king.
Because
You are the weight of her world.
You are the stars to her sky.
You are the twinkle in her eye.
You are the jewel to her crown.
You are the spring in her step.
You are the sweet to her dreams.
You are the light in her dark.
You are her daddy, so treat her right.

When my parents first got divorced, I was fine and the fact that I was losing my father wasn't a big deal. But now that three, four, five years have passed, I'm starting to realize more and more how much a father figure really means to be and how much a really want a daddy.