boredom

what is boredom
a doodle on a stray corner of a textbook
the glazed-over stare of a student
jerking his head up
staying awake
while the black-and-white movie plays

what is boredom
for I know not
does it lie waiting
in a drawer
slipping out each time its container is opened
does it appear from nothing
sparking into existence at a teacher’s droning words
or is it immortalized in dusty plaques
inscribed with academic achievements

what is boredom
for I know only
the feeling of the slithering fingers
closing my eyes
stealing my senses

one

at

a

time

what is boredom
for I know not

CristelSnowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 16 at 11:54 pm:
awesome poem, so true, i find my self wondering about what is boredom sometimes, but you have done an excellent job describing it!  Nice! keep up the awesome work!

WOWritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 1 at 12:43 pm:
Like the questions this raises :) made me think. I don't think you need the massive gaps, maybe just one or two if at all, but other than that I really enjoyed this

Love2Read72This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 1 at 6:40 pm :
Those gaps were indentations, but I guess on teen ink they don't show up correctly. :-)

WOWritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 2 at 11:07 am :
Oh ok then :)

VeganFeminist_WriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 26 at 3:09 am:
Really relatable. I love it.

Nella.Girl97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 22 at 9:59 am:
interesting! well written and spaced!