Dream Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i am not your manic pixie dream girl

my eyes are not deep blue pools
and my freckles aren't constellations dusting
the galaxy of my cheek. my face is not a simile or a metaphor for anything having to
do with nature or space.

i am not your manic pixie dream girl

there is nothing quirky about sitting alone at lunch and my lone wolf status is not a
badge worn with pride. don't try to put me
in your boxes; don't label me quirky or artsy or anything other than me. i am not different
from all those other girls, don't give me a golden status of other.

i am not your manic pixie dream girl

my scars are not tragically beautiful and
when i cry tears don't gently roll down my
cheek and my mascara doesn't streak like
a shooting star. no, my eyes are red and puffy
and my hands shake and i am a hot mess.

do not romanticize my suffering; do not try to turn my life into a tragic backstory,
setting you up as the knight in shining armor

i am not your manic pixie dream girl
so darling, go chase a different fantasy.

anna4real.zThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yess!! Good job, I love this! I've seriously felt like this many times and the way you worded it made this piece even better:)

YoelaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Thank you for saying this. Finding a  "manic pixie dream girl" is an overused, misled idea. I also just love your poem!