My Grandfather | Teen Ink

My Grandfather

May 5, 2014
By CJBain BRONZE, Oviedo, Florida
CJBain BRONZE, Oviedo, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Try and Try Hard


I was sitting there minding my own business in school learning. How I wish I could get out. Anything at all I wasn’t kidding. Well I did get out but maybe in the worst way possible that day. Ok so like I said I was sitting there minding my own business learning ugh. Then came in a call from the office. Whenever they call I get worried. I panic what did I do nothing no it had to be something. CJBain for pickup please. Yes!

When I got to the office I saw my mom in tears. Why is she crying what happened!? We walked out of the school and when we were in the car (I knew there had to be a really good reason for her to pick me up at school she almost never did that) to ask her what was wrong.

“…Your….Grandfather………Has….24……….hours…to live.” Silence.

“So where going to Delaware?” I asked hypothetically it was obvious why she took me out of school.

“Yes we just have to pick up your sister and father go home pack and then we’ll be on the road.”

So we went to my sisters school where they just got back from there 4th grade field trip that my Mom was on. While on the way back to the school (my Mom was a chaperone) my Grandmother called and kept asking if they were back yet my mom just asked what was wrong and that’s when my Grandmother told her the bad news. We picked them up and rushed home about 5 mile over the speed limit.

I got my stuff ready in 5 minutes so did everyone else and headed off. Not much was said in those two and a half hours because secretly we were all crying.

When we got there my grandmother basically rushed out and told us to hurry in why I don’t know because he had like 20 hours. Well my aunt and uncle were there first but they really don’t do well when I comes to this stuff. Nothing really happened until that night while I was asleep.

That night I had prayed (which I really don’t do much) to ask if my Grandfather did die that it could be in his sleep.
Ok I really don’t know this for sure but this is what I have been told. I was told that my grandmother was with him after that my mother came down also and last my dad they were all standing there. It was said (in my family) that he was waiting for my mom to comfort my Grandmother and my dad to comfort her then he slipped away.
When I woke up I heard this. I ran like a rocket to the bed I had been sleeping in shut the door and cried. As I did this I thought of every great thing he did for me and I did for him. I thought about our time together thought it was great and thought that he was a great man.
But remembered what I wanted came true. He did sleep away in his sleep. It was his time though. His time to say bye. His time to go. His time to leave and stay in heaven.
Later that day people started to come so they could go to the funeral. While they came I wrote a eulogy. I showed my dad and it was our little secret. When my sister found out she wanted to do one. She ended up doing the top 5 best things about my “Pappy” (which is what we called him).
Hers was good to. My eulogy was thing I will remember him bye and some of the best things he had ever done for me. I remember standing up there scared as I would ever been but proud that I could call him my grandfather.
I also remember everyone in tears when I told my eulogy. What I will most remember is my grandmother being proud of me when I told it.

I know I will do a eulogy for my grandmother because together they did a lot for my immediate family.

When I turned 10 my grandfather saw a go-cart for sale for $300 he just happened to have that amount of money in his wallet with him. He got it and gave it to me for my birthday.

I remember getting that thing and saying I never thought about a go-cart because I thought it would be out of the question all together. Riding it the first time was great my grandfather standing there proudly thinking there’s my grandson (he never had his own son he had two daughters.
My grandfather did so much I still think about it and wonder how did he do all of this? Was he made of money or something. Most of the time though it was love that was all I really needed and that’s all I really wanted.
When I really would like something when I was in Delaware though he asked me if it was what I really wanted. I made sure and when I got it I was so happy. There is no way I could ever make it up. Especially now that he is gone.