Along the Way This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

How many faces and birthdays will I come to remember
before my eyes shut for the last time
and I find myself in that closet I hid in that smelled of laundry softener
in the third grade because I didn’t belong in a girl’s house?
How many fingers and palms and fingernails
will I see amid how many trees, swinging green and happy branches in the spring
like the clasped hands of middle aged lovers who left the kids at home with a babysitter
so they could go for an afternoon walk?
I imagine there will be enough smiles and enough tears
that if I wanted to I could flood the city of New York
and swim through those blurred lights in the dead of an August night
and sing along with the crickets and the distorted sound of drowned car horns.
Hopefully I’ll have a bag of forehead wrinkles and boxes full of voices
from teachers and friends and train conductors
who say the most unimportant things like “May I see your ticket?”
Hopefully there will be shoes and coats from parties
and sloppy kisses on doorsteps in cold January nights
where my breath will be visible in the air and the ice near my feet
will sparkle and gleam in the periodic flicker of the dying bulb
in her porch light.
Even if things go wrong,
at least there will be the smell of honeysuckle and sweat
in my mother’s hair as she held me to her chest as I came fresh from the womb
and there will always be those fluorescent lights.

SierraWilliston926 said...
wow thats amazing to read something so true and so...how to put this...emotional. i loved it. :)

laurapauline said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:21 am
Good imagery and word choice but I'm not sure what the message or meaning is that you're trying to get across

Lauren C. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Who cares? It's poetry, it's not meant to be interpreted in some, real concrete way. I loved it. :)

Gymnast1 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:19 am
The poem was really good! There was a very good connection between lessons in life and getting old.

ellscreamah96 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 10:42 am
I really enjoyed the ending to this poem! The beginning was a great hook and the end had a clear conclusion. Wonderful word choice and i could visual what you meant, and the emotions of life being too short. Good job!

keely21soccer said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 10:38 am
Great word choice and how it's enjoying and embracing life to the fullest hoping they will. I loved how it said i hoped i had a bag full of wrinkles and boxes fulll of voices because most poeple dread getting old but in this poem it is hopeful to get old.

melissa123 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:44 am
very creative! meaning is kind of unclear though

RTB5574 replied...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:33 am
melissa i love you

ellen5678 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:42 am
great imagery and word choice!

NonexistentRemedies said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:42 am
I love this, it reminds me of myself. It says a lot to me. It's almost as if you're saying it's as if you should live your life to the fullest and treasure all memories, no matter how little, like the guy who asked to see your ticket. This is a really amazing poem.

RTB5574 replied...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:32 am
hey sam how are you and zach doing nice comment

Elmo1234 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:38 am
I liked all the descriptive words and personification. This poem can be related to very easily and is very true.

FrenchHippie said...
Very Interesting. Not quite sure the whole meaning of it yet, but thats totally fine! Good job :)

Amber4141610This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow, I've never read a poem so...true. It made me feel as if life holds meaning and purpose, even in the smallest flickers of light. Thank you, for that, really.

Fia-fia said...
This is wonderful and extremely creative! I love it! Thank you! :)

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
WOW. This is amazing. I can only hope to one day write something this great!

GirlGamer54This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I didnt really understand it though.

Presley96 said...
This piece of poetry is a well though out....I like it and I know that you have a lot of potential just reading your works

katieyoung18 said...
its really good, i like the details,

Wintergrl7 said...
LOVE IT. it seems as though the words start flowing together but then theres that awkward sentence, 2 dif writing styles that make the tempo weird