Pledge This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

From this point forward
I will not stand
to be unhappy
any longer.
I will not stand
to be broken down,
broken apart,
broken-hearted.
From this point forward
my success does not depend
on my waistline
and my strength does not depend
on my weakness.
My biggest fear is not
the nutrition label.
From this point forward
I will not worry those
who love me.
I will not look at those
with hip bones
and rib cages
and be jealous.
I will not be afraid
to eat the birthday cake
you made me.
I will not measure
every morsel as if
any more would make
it poison.
From this point forward
food is not my enemy
and Ana is not my friend.
Size zero is not beautiful
and 90 pounds is not ideal.
I am no longer
enslaved by my scale
and it is not an awful day
when I weigh enough
to donate blood.
From this point forward
the only things coming
out of my mouth will be
words.
I will no longer be called
Disgraceful,
Disgusting,
Distasteful.
From this point forward
I am
Inspired,
Indestructable,
Independent.

Kaylah said...
  I think that people should follow this because I think that it is a very good thing to think about and I also think that you used good personification and I think that you also used a good stan

SORECROR1234 said...
May 1, 2012 at 10:36 am
This poem was really good. It showed how you wouldn't be afraid and how you would stand up for yourself. There were a lot of verses, too many actually, I think you should've made them stanzas instead. I think making the words rhyme would have made the poem much more interesting. There were also some good metaphors in there too.

Alex M. said...
May 1, 2012 at 10:36 am
I really loved the confidence that you put into this piece. Every verse meant the same thing, but you told it in a different way each time and that was amazing. With that amazing imagery, it felt like I was living your life alongside you. Overall fantastic poem!(:

Erin said...
May 1, 2012 at 10:30 am

I like the poems message of excepting yourself for who you are. I also think that using some rhyming but not a ton really gives the peom charactor.

Nice job!!

HHHpaintball said...
May 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

i loved how u did this! i cought the rythim of the poem very quickly.

CamCam<3 said...
May 1, 2012 at 10:21 am
I loved your poem!!!! I liked how you used metaphors to compare what you used to be to who you are now. WOW I could totally feel your strength as you were writing this piece. I also thought it was cool how your poem was like one giant stanza :D

why do u care said...
May 1, 2012 at 8:05 am
I like the hyperbole and the metaphor.  I like the hyperbole that the only thing to come out of your mouth would be words.

why do u care said...
May 1, 2012 at 7:56 am
I like the hyperbole and the metaphors.

Indilove said...
May 1, 2012 at 7:43 am
Amazing job, this will really help people out there. They need this poem great work

dancing in the rain said...
Gave this to my struggling best friend and now, we're both doing our best to follow it. I love this. Gave us both hope. <3

JPanda13 said...
I know i've already commented on it, but i cant help but reading it over and over agin. We all live by this unspoken rule that if your not skinny, your not pretty. But we all know its not true. But we still worry about our weight and try to fit in with the skinny popular girls. Omg! i cant even describe how much i love this!!!

JPanda13 said...
Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:46 am
this is amazing. So many people, including me, worry about living up to other peoples standards. we lead our lives worrying about our weight and being fat. Im not saying that im not gonna worry any more, but it is such a good reminder of what i already knew about not worrying about being fat and dieting at the age of thirteen. I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saryachan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
god lord, that's something that i wish i could do myself. completely astounding.

CreativeAngel said...
wow! Very insperational and amazing. Keep up the poetry!

SweetSandyFlower replied...
i love this poem. very touching. It gives hope and inspiration

dragonfly95 said...
beautiful, just beatiful, very inspired and i live it! check out my work please, thanks!

LovelessWriter1090This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:30 am
Yeah! Give it up for you,honey!

Sica21 said...
WOW!!! AMAZING!!!!!! DEFINITELY ONE OF MY FAVORITES!!! :3

Lizla This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved this piece! So desolate, yet hopeful, love, love, love it. Stay strong, girl! Check out my work too?

RunningGinger said...
I had a cousin that went through this, and now couldn't be more handsome... It's good to see him strong, healthy, and loving life. This is very powerful, and im going to show it to my friends who think they are "fat," though they are some of the skinnyest people I have ever met.