Pledge This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

From this point forward
I will not stand
to be unhappy
any longer.
I will not stand
to be broken down,
broken apart,
broken-hearted.
From this point forward
my success does not depend
on my waistline
and my strength does not depend
on my weakness.
My biggest fear is not
the nutrition label.
From this point forward
I will not worry those
who love me.
I will not look at those
with hip bones
and rib cages
and be jealous.
I will not be afraid
to eat the birthday cake
you made me.
I will not measure
every morsel as if
any more would make
it poison.
From this point forward
food is not my enemy
and Ana is not my friend.
Size zero is not beautiful
and 90 pounds is not ideal.
I am no longer
enslaved by my scale
and it is not an awful day
when I weigh enough
to donate blood.
From this point forward
the only things coming
out of my mouth will be
words.
I will no longer be called
Disgraceful,
Disgusting,
Distasteful.
From this point forward
I am
Inspired,
Indestructable,
Independent.

jmc.13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 8:15 am
Fantastic job. I loved it, and I think everyone can relate. The writing style was genius, it captured the point beautifully.
Great work!

EscapetheFate123 said...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 6:56 am
Wow... I mean Wow!!!
Thats brilliant!
It is so true, I love it.
Keep going!
x

monica93 said...
i love this poem i need to start thinking that myself

BannedGeekII said...
Aug. 30, 2009 at 12:54 am
Amazing poem. I am inspired. So very unique.

UNICEF_Jr. said...
This is incredible. I feel as if I whisper these words to myself every day when I look in the mirror, and you have captured it perfecly. Very nice work.

Kelly M said...
“Pledge” by Sarah is a poem that describes how every girl feels. I personally am not struggling with anorexia, but I know girls who are. Even though I don’t have an eating disorder, that doesn’t mean I like how I look. Many girls probably feel the same way. I don’t know anyone who loves everything about themselves.

This poem really describes the way many girls think, which is why I love it. I too will make a pledge not to envy others’ looks, but ... (more »)

rachelmueller said...
this poem shows great courage for someone to over come a situation such as that and to share it with the grace and beauty you did is truely amazing

climbergirl said...
I love the subject matter. Be defiant of society's boundaries and don't ever let people make you into something you aren't.

The writing has a good rhythm to it, but there are still improvements to be made...I think you could maybe use some other adjectives at the end there, but I like how you give the message. Inspiring.

Zoe C. said...
May 26, 2009 at 2:49 am
Keep writing check peoms out by zoe c in wa

Twilightnme said...
I am touched. Keep standing strong... live life your way! Have fun...

jlacey said...
I agree with the "you go girl" comments. This poem is written very well. I love it.

AndThisIsReal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was awesome.
I have always been a tiny girl, and belive it or not, you do get crude comments sometimes for being skinny.
A fast metabolism runs in my family, and some people will say otherwise.
So I might not fully understand, but regardless I believe...Beauty comes in all shapes, and sizes, and colors, and perspectives.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I bet if I knew you I'd think you were beautiful just the way you are, don't change to please anyo... (more »)

Alik_=) said...
May 5, 2009 at 1:45 am
this was amazing! I really liked it - I can't really think of anything bad about it - which I can usually do cuz I am a big critique
I don't think I can write something that good, but help me critique mine! TeenInk.com/search.php?raw=raw

Cambria G. said...
May 4, 2009 at 4:46 am
Wow, very well written.
This goes to prove how society needs to retrain brains. Its not the size of the waist, but the size of the heart.
Proud of you.
LADIES LOVE YOUR CURVES!

Courkly :P said...
I think this was amazing. This was a work of art and it is insperational to people (girls or guys) everywhere :)

blackamethyst said...
this is amazing... even though i dont know you i feel proud that youre making this decision. youre strong.

SaraB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 19, 2009 at 1:21 am
You go girl! It's great that you're able to turn around your experiences into something so positive that has inspired so many people! I love it!

smmrox said...
This poem is an inspiration to me and many other young girls. Thank you.

Sarah S. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 4, 2009 at 10:33 am
Thank you, everyone! Reading through your comments has touched me so deeply. I am so honored to have had an impact on so many women like myself. And yes, I give permission to anyone who would like to keep a copy of this for herself (on her wall, or in her purse, or on her mirror, etc.) or who would like to share it with friends. :)

francheeze88 said...
Apr. 4, 2009 at 3:17 am
You've heard this so many times already, I'm sure, but this is so beautiful and telling. I love it, and though I don't know you, I LOVE YOU!