Bookworms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Boy walks, nose-deep into small print
of a yellow book, zig-zags down treacherous
levels of stairs as if only his feet
sense his whereabouts and ankle-up
the kudzu, the other worlds enchanted

anchor him. He reads as if studying
atom splits, enamored with their
sleepwalking between two beings
while classmates dart in and out of lunch lines,
pounding on vending machines. His thumb

makes an even cut into a chapter,
folding over the neatly typed tale, bells sounding
in their wary come-back-boomerang whistle
and a fissure halves his eardrum, his eyelashes
fall apart to the fluorescent quilted ceiling flickering

chalk-like shadows sprawled out on the cafeteria floor
and things like chocolate milk seem filtered from
dream-Bible text and although he is grateful
to be where he is, although he is grateful to touch
on the familiar, he cannot fathom

his own reactions to the real-life stories
where plots confuse at the hand of his author and
resolution never comes. So impatiently he drags a chair
out from beneath a plastic table, picks up where
he left off, remembers his place.

Ivagrovegirl said...
Congrats on a beautiful piece, very nice

Kelz1141This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
beautiful 5 out of 5

imaginewhirrledpeas said...
Great! I loved the imagery, and this describes me perfectly :)
Except, I'm a girl.

beowulf said...
i like ur use of kennings

Zoeee93 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:51 am
amazing! the vocabulary and detail used in this piece were both superb!! :) keep it up!

onlyiz said...
wow. i love the way this poem started in me slow, and built only after as i thought about what made it so exceptional. of course diction, simile, and how real it felt were executed flawlessly.

tomtamtimmy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
lol thats me. its descriptive. god job

Poet_in_Motion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this poem very much. I think that the vocabulary makes it in-depth and the similes add graceful imagery to it. The way you described a not-so-common but wonderful trait is beautiful. Please keep writing, you're obviously very skilled in it.

heartsday said...
This pretty much described me to a T. I love how detail this was, and the comparison of "he reads like an atom splits", but it took me a minute to get.

oriGINAlity said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:13 am
Loved it! very very very good!

Emmalee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 7:49 am
Wonderful. :)

casalej said...
Your poem was outstanding. Since my vocabulary is not very rich, i did not know of words like "fathom," but because of ypur excelent use of context clues I understood. I also like your writing because it expresses the show of how you can get lost in a book but no matter the place you must read. "He reads as if atom spits," was a very powerful statement about the boys intent reading.

Cady said...
I very much approve of this peace. You did great. Keep up with the good work.

legolas_elf said...
Oct. 22, 2009 at 9:31 am
I love this piece. That description totally fits me because as you can tell from my screename, I love fantasy. That's exactly how I am when I get hooked on a book. Great job. Keep writing!

serena replied...
legolas f/ books or movies?? they are way different. i like the books way better.
i am readin the Fellowship of the Ring right now. I love lotr

epingel said...
I very much liked this piece, I read books all the time and find it really enjoyable. I like how you said how "the other words enchanted him" I enjoy fantasy books too. A lot of people wont get how good books really are because they think they're weird or nerdy that only geeks read; I actually prefer books over movies and TV because you can imagine the character for yourself.

dylonmichael replied...
Oct. 1, 2009 at 8:46 am
i agree 100% right now i am reading ink heart and it is getting good next i am going to read the last of the Eragon series i've read all the twilights (own the last one) and the harry potter series (own them all) and then after that i dont know what i am going to do

Jazzzy517 replied...
Oct. 22, 2009 at 8:42 am
i read that book... its AMAZING!!!
it only took me 3 days.... i couldnt put it down

dylonmichael replied...
Oct. 22, 2009 at 8:53 am
i am forced to put it down i have school and play practice and now work grrr idk when i am ever going to finish it

Lostinbooks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Good thing there are so many talented writers out there to keep us supplied with dream-vacation stories! I would love to visit some of the places in books...