Bookworms This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Boy walks, nose-deep into small print
of a yellow book, zig-zags down treacherous
levels of stairs as if only his feet
sense his whereabouts and ankle-up
the kudzu, the other worlds enchanted

anchor him. He reads as if studying
atom splits, enamored with their
sleepwalking between two beings
while classmates dart in and out of lunch lines,
pounding on vending machines. His thumb

makes an even cut into a chapter,
folding over the neatly typed tale, bells sounding
in their wary come-back-boomerang whistle
and a fissure halves his eardrum, his eyelashes
fall apart to the fluorescent quilted ceiling flickering

chalk-like shadows sprawled out on the cafeteria floor
and things like chocolate milk seem filtered from
dream-Bible text and although he is grateful
to be where he is, although he is grateful to touch
on the familiar, he cannot fathom

his own reactions to the real-life stories
where plots confuse at the hand of his author and
resolution never comes. So impatiently he drags a chair
out from beneath a plastic table, picks up where
he left off, remembers his place.

Kiyoko This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 6:20 am
This is a good poem. The balance of abstractness to imagery is well done. Good job!

OriginalCarbonation said...
i really enjoyed this poem. i love the format, the style, and the tone. it was unique in all of those ways so it took me away like books you were describing. i admire and congratulate you on creating a deeper and more realistic picture of a bookworm, not just someone who reads all the time, but their phsyche, their world. you really got into it and then correctly translated that to paper. it is so relatable and well phrased.i especially love the part about seing through a filter of what you... (more »)

Lonewolf1213 said...
A bookworm myself, I recognize some of the things I do in this poem. Great job!

SkyWolfThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I love your ability to create the exact image in my head I was thinking of!!!!!

I love this peom! :)

MRose911 said...
i know many many people like this!! i love the poem! and your writing is so unique! :)

star-gazing-dreamer said...
i really like this poem. Its perfectly titled and really well written. :) officially one of my favorites

thebushhippie said...
Aug. 26, 2010 at 10:23 am
Whoa....this poem was SO fantastic! Your use of words and descriptive phrases was AWESOME!!! Love it!!! If I could rate higher than 5, I so would!!! :0) :0) :0)

MercedesXO said...

very intelligently written. your use of imagery and metaphors is powerful. i am..the deffinition of a bookworm. if you say me you'd never think it, but i am. my friends and family always get upset when i turn down plans to continue reading for 10 hours straight. (i dont like distractions. lol great job:)

id love it if you (or anyone else reading this) would check out some of my work. especially my poem

'Torturer of a King.' appriciated:)

MelanieLouise This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 4, 2010 at 10:37 am
amazing. you have created such great imagery with this piece. i am very inspired. it so vivid. great great work :) keep writing, Mel.

Sincerly,Jasmine said...
that was very very great it displayed great imajery keep goin :)

annlovesbooks said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 10:38 am
Wow this totally describes me, but i'm a gril. keep writing your awsome!

CarlyMurphy said...

You've gotten so many comments, and I'm sorry to say mine will be quite similar: this blew my mind. "Atom splits, enamored with their sleepwalking..."

Your writing is gorgeous. Cliché as it sounds, you have a gift.

Not only did this poem amaze me, it inspired me, and I think that's what poetry is all about. Beautiful, beautiful piece.

Lunaractivity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was a beautiful poem, the image of this boy briefly snapping out of the book then snapping back in was so vivid. Frankly, it reminds me of myself.

munchkinrocks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really good, keep writing!

beautifullyclueless said...
May 8, 2010 at 10:30 am
oh BRILLIANT!!!! this was a joy to read and everything was so fun and artistic and original. i loved "bookworms"

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 9:56 am
this is amazing.

yesimdarrian101 said...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 6:36 am
I totally understand this peom, and it relates to my life so much.

serena said...
this is very much me i am a girl tho :)
i really like your metaphors and its so true

Wolfayne said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 11:57 am
This is very good, as well as true! Well, to some people, including me, except I'm a girl
....
ANy way, I love they style. Only problem I have, and it's not much of a problem, is the way the stanzas are arranged.
Please have a look at my stuff and tell me what you think! ;D

reading-freak123 said...
HaHaHa!! this is so true and so good. my brother reads so much it scares me lol i luv it!