sometimes i remember This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

sometimes i remember
dr. seuss books that declared
with such certainty
that individuality was
all that mattered

bible verses that explained
why we would be going to hell
if we didn’t pick up the pace

looking through mousetraps
and crossing our fingers
as we prayed:

don’t die, little guy,
don’t die, don’t die.

now,
on an apple-juice stained sofa
i watch smoke leave
a sagging body in a gray sweatshirt directly
through the nose
and i wonder if this is what
dr. seuss meant all those years ago about
nonsense waking up the brain cells.

and i’m thinking,
i shouldn’t let you do this.

but then again,
i am such a hypocrite.

sometimes i remember
sunday school priests
and how they would describe
heaven as this place where
you love god
so passionately that
it is enough
and it is enough
and it is enough.

so maybe if i could believe in
boys in the ripped jeans
and gray hoodies
enough to make them gods
i could make this world
heaven and i could tie-dye
my past blue and green
and it would serve as earth.

sometimes i remember god,
and sometimes he remembers me.

but i always seem to
remember you.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the June 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

notebookgirl said...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 7:49 am:
amazing work keep wrtiting

AmandaAndPeace said...
Mar. 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm:
Wow, just wow. That left me amazed, incredible:) keep it up!

Jimmy_flash said...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:36 pm:
i totally loved it :)

beautiful*downfall said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm:
wow...you gave me goosebumps!!! this is definitely my favorite poem on here...wow. that was amazing! more more! :P

japsystarr said...
Feb. 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm:
its soo cute

2Kool4U said...
i loved this, i'm pretty sure it spoke to others like it did to me keep it up!

WritingInTheRain said...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 9:17 am:
wow, this is such a beautiful poem, you have a real gift. i love the part about "tie-dye my past blue and green and it would serve as the earth." so beautiful, keep it up!

mellow_melon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i love this...i keep reading it over and over again. its great, and for some reason it just makes me want to cry. my favorite part is the stanza with the mousetrap bit

ManekiNeko said...
beautifully cunstructed

aydenblack This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 7, 2009 at 12:36 am:
Lovely.
The mousetrap bit caught my eye for some reason "don't die, little" guy", and wrenched at my heart.
I can relate to this so well.
Keep writing.

tennisislovee34 said...
I like it, cool viewpoint, very interesting.

choirchic said...
i like it. don't blame God for bad things. bad things happen even to the best of us. people may have told you before but i'm going to tell you again GOD LOVES YOU. though it may feel like he doesn't at times. he does. what kind of person would sacrifie their son for people that weren't even alive. only God would do that. that is the ultimate sacrifice and nobody has a love like God.

silent-one replied...
Jan. 12, 2010 at 11:32 am :
i whole heartedly agree. at times it feels like he is so far away...like you will never be able to grab a hold of him... but realy he walks rite beside you every step of the way.

AbbyQ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 12, 2010 at 7:15 pm :
It is so encouraging to know that there are other teens out there who feel the same way about God as I do!
I have found that learning to trust and follow God is like riding a bike- sometimes He lets go and steps away so you can crash, so you can learn.
If you've crashed, well, get back up and try again, knowing that God is there and will be there, no matter what. How awesome is that?!

kookoodood said...
That was...beautiful. People don't seem to understand it, do they? When something so beautiful and terrible as a breakup happens and you're left standing there wondering what you did wrong. It's maddening and frustrating and it drains yourself out of your physical manifestation. I'm crying now. Thank you for this beautiful work.

AmnyR said...
sarab you did a great job. i'll say it too... jesus died for you, and no matter how it feels or what other people say, he loves you, now and forever, and you are his treasured child. just like all the rest of us. when life gets tough, turn to god, he is there. your poem was very well written, keep at it!

annkaykay2011 said...
Aug. 24, 2009 at 7:37 am:
Its very compassionate,beautiful and amazing =] Its really relate able because it brings back the goose bumps of first dates and the meaningless fights all in one. Good work =]

SaraB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 8, 2009 at 3:00 pm:
This may be a lost cause, cause frankly, I suck at missioning, but: God really is out there, and even if you don't know him, he knows you and loves you more than you can imagine. He loves you so much that He sent his Son, someone he loved SO much to die, specifically to save you. I know you've probably heard this like 100 times already, but its the cold hard truth. I myself never would have believed it a year ago, but here I am preaching on some random website. If you want to talk (if you ... (more »)

fivefiveoheight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:28 pm:
Amazing i argee with the comments below. Its very very beautiful. Keep Writing.:)

Jessalynn said...
This poem is absolutly amazing. I love it. It is so touching. I agree completley with SarahB. He is out there, all you have to do is believe. He died for us and that is the most amazing thing someone could do for me. I thank all of those who preach to me and the other teens who need to hear God word in tough times. Lets face it, we all have moments when we need to reasurance, and God is that reasurance! God bless you all.