Sand Castles | Teen Ink

Sand Castles

By Broken-Butterfly BRONZE, Yelm, Washington
Broken-Butterfly BRONZE, Yelm, Washington

"Shut up Anderson, you'll lower the IQ of the whole street."- Sherlock

Walking hand in hand with my best friend, through the ocean mist laughing at the way his hair is sticking up from the wind. The sky is a blue you only see at the ocean, dotted here and there with bright colored kites and masses of seagulls. The beach is warm and the sand is sparkling. We stop and turn to look at the water and wordlessly say how beautiful it is. Laughing, he sits down and begins to build a sand castle. I roll my eyes but with a grab of the hand and a tug and I have no choice but to start scooping sand. Our little sandcastle has a blue shell for a door and a feather for a flag, and seaweed is the walkway. To anyone who happened to see it, it would be an insignificant mound of sand with a few sea shells. But to us it was special and we built 5 more along the beach, just being happy in each other’s company.The ocean breeze swirled the grasses where we sat and looking up, the day was nearly over. We sat back to watch the sunset sitting on an old beat-up quilt that was who knows how old. That was our last beautiful moment and my heart breaks to think of it. I lost him from this world soon after. I still go to that beach and watch the kites and the sunset. Things are not the same; the sandcastles I’ve built are tearstained and built with shaky hands. So I walk along the sand and gaze up at the stars wondering, if my best friend misses me too. Tears circling around my cheeks, I close my eyes and dream. I dream of a world where boys can love boys without being hated, dream of a world where my best friend is still here and I dream of sand castles and ocean mist.

I miss you Daniel, RIP.
Please if any of you are thinking of committing suicide I care! Please don't you are so special. Regardless of sexual orientation, religion,or whatever you are so loved!