A Work in Progress This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I get nervous … speaking to a crowd.
Not in a crowd, but to one.
In a crowd my voice is commanding and enthusiastic,
But to one, I am weak,
My hands shake, my voice quivers.
Like I am afraid.
Maybe I am afraid, afraid that what I say and do don’t matter.
That my very existence on this earth is meek and unnecessary,
That I just take up space. I am afraid to be small.
That simple fact causes me to be loud and exuberant,
But is not overshadowed by the fact that I am still a work in progress,
And like those before me,
Will probably always be a work in progress until I have taken my last comforting
Breath,
Going to a place where I can speak with confidence,
Without the shakes and pain of this bleak life of worry and profit.
To a place where I will no longer be a work in progress.

livelovesmile said...

this poem is beautiful! well done! 

i would appreciate if you would check out my poems for i am always looking for feedback! Thanks!

bEllAhOPe said...
The message portrayed was amazing, but the delivery was slightly weaker. From the title, I might have expected a little more. Overall, however, I appreciated the writing. Well done.

Lari19 said...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 10:56 am:
I love this! Great job!!!

CHICHIthemagicalfrog said...
this poem spoke to me, i feel you man!

sethmeyerslover1234This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm :
me too i hate speaking in front of people one time i did a book report and  i almost cried because my voice shakes and i was really scared i was gonna mess up. band i did but that was only because i was telling mi self i would and  not believing in my self. i know how her and you feels. i have to read my poem for my next school town meeting and i am really scared. but i practice in front of a mirror and w/ my mom it works. and i Imagen i am readi... (more »)

DrDoofenTess said...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 1:22 am:

hey serenity

i bet almost half of the comments you get on here will be by people who find it hard to speak up in a crowd .... im one of them too. in fact i was jus tellin my friend yesterday about my stage fright n then today i read this

freaky co incidence huh :P

ur poem shows acceptance of the fact of u are at the moment and not lettin it take u down at the same time ... it shows all the hopes and promises u hold for ur future crowds :)

loved it n i will for sure... (more »)

nancyyy said...
Sept. 14, 2010 at 7:44 am:

I get nervous speaking to a crowd too. Your poem put the feeling into words.

I like how you said "I am still a work in progress, and like those before me, Will probably always be a work in progress until I have taken my last comforting Breath" The line was very thought provoking for me and led me to reflect on the fact that nobody is perfect and everyone always strives to be better.

Smileyky108 said...
Ahh. I think my comment got screwed up. I was saying that I think that a lot of people will be able to relate to this poem, and how beautifully written it is. (:

Smileyky108 said...
I love this. I love the idea of being able to go with the crowd but not being able to speak

silent_reader said...
really good

1marge13 said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 8:02 pm:
I really liked this piece. This is a lot how I am, kind of eye opening. Thanks so much!

Queenserenity724 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 11:22 pm :
thanks guys your comments mean so much to me! read my other stuff and comment on those as well if you have the time

JasminePinto said...
May 28, 2010 at 11:17 am:
TRULLY AMAZING, words really cant even describe how good this is

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm:
Great job.  I thik about similar things sometimes.  5 stars.

Eric D. said...
Apr. 30, 2010 at 9:39 am:
Fantastic free verse. Good job!!!!!

BreonnBurse This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 19, 2010 at 9:17 am:
That was hot; I like it (:

bilbogirl said...
Feb. 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm:
Definately an amazing piece, very well written. I like that I can feel the nervousness in front of one. Can't wait for more. 5 stars!

Daniel W. said...
This is very talented and it showed courage. 5 stars!

Mrs. G said...
I was looking for a poem to share with my eighth grade students on the first day or two of school. I am going to ask students to identify with a line or two of your poem and tell me why they have made that connection. It will help me know them better. Thanks for your contribution!

gabee_p replied...
Sept. 23, 2009 at 6:59 pm :
i would absolutly love to use this as my graduation speech.....if i could have your permission of course