What I Am No More

What was once accepted as messy scrawls
transformed into a realistic representation.
What was once a rainbow of shapes defined by my own imagination
became a blank canvas ready for the creativity to flow.

What was once scribbles believed to be handwriting
evolved to be handwriting that looked like scribbles.
What was once nonsense sentences
rearranged itself to artful literature.

What was once an empty mind full of wonder and magic
lost its way in a selfish planet.
What was once joyful innocence
drowned in the sea of a despairing world.

What was once so bright and cheery
grew into an adolescent of frowns.
What was once so chubby and young
became a hardened adult through age.

What was once a translucent blue plastic plate
turned to the steering wheel I grasped.
What was once a dangling foot from the seat
grew to reach the pedal igniting the beast I rode.

What was once societies joyful past
grew up into its future.
What was once a decision between bricks or bike
turned into the vote of which party.

What was once a child is now mature.
What was once forever, playful to the core,
has now concluded,

and you can be a child no more.

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 6:55 pm:
This is really good, and I love the meaning behind it as well! ^_^

Luv4EverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 26 at 2:43 pm:
this is a very thought provoking piece that encourages the reader to stop and think about the changes in their own live. this is very well done^^

BlackbeltJamesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 29 at 7:49 pm :
Thanks, I'm glad that you enjoyed it :)

KaavyaMThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 15 at 11:22 am:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I'm normally not a fan of free verse, but this is among the best I've read. The repetition really emphasises the theme of how everything changes as you grow, and the line 'What was once a dangling foot from the seat/grew to reach the pedal igniting the beast I wrote' is just brilliant. It really drives growing home.

Apr. 16 at 5:06 pm :
Wow, thanks for your feedback, I'm really glad you liked it :D

WinterRose1976This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 7 at 1:13 pm:
I love this poem! It's very relatable and explains the changes that occur with growing up perfectly. Five stars!

Apr. 8 at 7:33 pm :
Thanks a lot, I'm glad you connected with it, I really tried to make it understandable by using the different themes involved to appeal to everyone. To some it does seem depressing, but for others its a sign that that fun and excitement doesn't have to be lost. :)

BlackbeltJamesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 25 at 2:23 pm:
Please rate and comment, all feedback is appreciated :D