Of Mismatched Mirrors and Crying Girls | Teen Ink

Of Mismatched Mirrors and Crying Girls

By MissAkari GOLD, Sierra Madre, California
MissAkari GOLD, Sierra Madre, California

"Time goes by so fast, people go in and out of your life. You must never miss the opportunity to tell these people how much they mean to you."

a face pumped and full to the brim, on the verge of spilling over (swollen eyes, pale face, dizzying headache)

~started with innocent purple eye-shadow, sticky lip-gloss, cheeks positively glowing with blush {how differently she looks now}
a pair of ironically shaven cheekbones filed to a point, their only purpose to knife into hearts (puffy lids, aching nose)

~now her necessities are professional gel eyeliner, cc cream, dark red lipstick {balm first, then the stick}
face lifting off, forehead stretching and growing into the hairline (lips parched, mouth bitter)

~surgical knives, the snapping of white plastic gloves {was it always hard to look this young?}
she will not succumb to time, it will not hold her back (the room swirls around like a decaf caramel drizzled vanilla latte)

~the squeaking of the metal table, plastic trays rattling
no matter how hard she tries [cries?], she can only see a withering husk in the mirror ("we're going to put you under now.")

~mechanical beeping of some sorts {she can't quite tell}
could it be that while the outside withers, the inside grows [glows?] brighter? (the anesthesia washes over her, an old friend)

~pure white.

[and she tries to remember a time when there weren't monsters in the mirror.]

I recently started feeling mixed emotions towards society's twisted standards of beauty, so I tried to express them through this poem.