No, You Cannot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It is a new nation,
a nation that proudly proclaims:
“Yes we can.”
But what power holds “yes we can,”
when America has told many of our
brothers and sisters
“no, you cannot”?
You cannot follow your heart.
You cannot move forward.
You cannot take a hand.
You cannot break the mold.
“Marriage is a holy bond
for a man and a woman
it is not yours to taint,” they say.
Where is the future?
Relentlessly we must
keep striving for a better day.
We must stop this hatred
and bring about change in the
wake of defeat.

ElleNicole said...
Amazing.

UnknownPoet13 said...
i really like this poem!! :) it's so true and deep! if you don't mind could you check out mine? It's entitled "The Magic Man"

GrammarNaziMistress replied...
Honestly, couldn't you just read this heartfelt, powerful poem and compliment it WITHOUT self-advertising? *sighs*

BlackHeartOMine said...
I really like your poem.  It's very deep and full of passion and emotion.  It's not blunt about what it is about, and that's what I find most intriguing about it.  It is very beautiful and wonderful.

BibliophileGirl7 said...

I so agree. So true. I love it. I am going to share it with everyone one my email list.

: )

beautifulmudblood said...
I love this poem, and I'm sharing it with everyone I know, because it's beautifully distinct voice needs to be heard. 

YOUNGREVELATION said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 11:20 am
Taking a stance beautiful looking for positivity where only negativity is surrounded. Lovely piece

CarolynQ said...
One thing I really like is that this poem goes so deep and is so simple to understand and it fits for the real world. Applaud yourself, this deserved to be in the magazine.

Ricky1013 said...

Ugh, I knew what I was getting into when I visited this "Teen ink" website-- emphasis on the teen. Look, let me spell it out for you, although you may say you "respectfully" disagree we all know that's not the case. Anyone who disagrees with equal liberties for all, especially those concerning homosexual marriage is a complete bigot. A blind individual with no sense of just direction; morally bankrupt. How can you respectfully deny rights to hundreds of thousands of people. Your opinions... (more »)

ricky1013 replied...
This is a reply to a comment below sorry for the mispost.

beautifulmudblood replied...
I wholeheartedly applaud this comment. 

Jaded_Memories replied...

I as well you could say applaud this comment but never assume that age defines a persons intelligence as you did by your comment on emphasizing the word teen please.

Clear_Skies replied...
I agree with you, but I also agree with the Jaded Memories person. I'm a teen, and I'm not stupid.

AJFruitninja said...
Can you guys check out my channel and look at my poems? Please? Thanks! I think You'd like them as much as you did this one!

Lola_Black said...
I agree with this poem completely. Since when does the government have the right to tell two adults who love eachother they can't get married?

cheerluv replied...
The government shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place...

Lola_Black replied...
So true. So very very true.

DisicpleofChristandJesusEnthusiast said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 9:01 am
This sis very good and VERY well written. VERY powerful! GREAT JOB!!!

starstruck15 said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 2:04 am
This is so empowering.

FallenAngel1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is GREAT.