No, You Cannot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It is a new nation,
a nation that proudly proclaims:
“Yes we can.”
But what power holds “yes we can,”
when America has told many of our
brothers and sisters
“no, you cannot”?
You cannot follow your heart.
You cannot move forward.
You cannot take a hand.
You cannot break the mold.
“Marriage is a holy bond
for a man and a woman
it is not yours to taint,” they say.
Where is the future?
Relentlessly we must
keep striving for a better day.
We must stop this hatred
and bring about change in the
wake of defeat.

Jaded_Memories said...

This is a good poem doll.Those who are shamelessly self promoting on someone else's work should really be embaressed. Read this poem, and give your feedback, but don't use this as an open spot to promote yourself. Do that elsewhere, not on others work. The constitution gives us the right to freedom of religion, this includes to not have a religiong also, so why in most states here in the U.S the goverment is still making laws based on the Christian religion is a mystery, and dissapointment to... (more »)

Jaded_Memories replied...

Sorry, I meant to spell

Religion, not "Religiong."

Ha ha.

Torch replied...

Did you know, Jaded, that America was originally created by our forefathers as a Christian nation? In the beginning, Christ, the Word, the Gospel, the Godhead, were our priorities, to be put above all else, including our own thoughts and feelings. It should not disappoint you that they are making laws based on the Christian religion. It should make you wonder how we strayed so far from what we started with.

-Torch Morris

AmayaSakaruta replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 8:44 am
i believe in christ too, but christ never, never, n-e-v-e-r wanted us to force Him upon others. besides even if He did this is still a FREE country and we as Americans have no right to tell others what to believe.

emma_holla replied...
Wow, Torch, that was just about the most naive comment I have ever read.

TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes replied...
Ah Torch. It's Christians like you who make the rest of us look like complete imbeciles. I am a devout Christian too, but I know better than to make such ignorant remarks such as the one you hae made. America was established as a safe haven for ALL religions to be practiced without persecution. :)

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 8:48 am
America was not founded on Christianity, nor should Christians continue to impose their religion on the government as if that is the only right path. There a plenty of resources to prove that the Founders were Deists, which, if you've read your history book, means that they believed in the possibility of a higher power, but did not believe in the bible. As in they believed in a god but not the Christian one. Besides, even if they were Christians, you are talking about a time in history where th... (more »)

writerforwriting replied...
Whether or not America was founded on Christian beliefs, I think we can all agree the first amendment to the constitution gives everyone the right to freedom of religion, freedom of speech and freedom of self expression. This is a great poem with a controversial message. I think it is beautiful.

cookiegirl said...
Sept. 7, 2011 at 12:59 am
I love your poem, the message is powerful:)

abnormal said...
Great poem!!  Very moving. Please read my poems and give me some tips!!

Lola_Black said...
For anybody who likes this, you might like my poem, "Remind Me When I'm Dead." (Just saying) Great poem, by the way!

loveylol said...
Aug. 16, 2011 at 8:43 am
love it  the story behind it is good job

smarie13 said...
This is a really well written poem. You did an awesome job, can you read some of mine?

purplequeen said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 8:59 am
3 stars it was okay how did it get on the first page??

Laura_Oliver replied...
I have two reasons for you--one, that it was in the magazine. Two, that this is hugely more effective than a snobby editorial. I mean, I would rather read about someone's opinions stated in the powerful, expressive form of poetry rather than just ranting blatantly. I might not look at things the same way as this person but this is still a great poem.

purplequeen replied...
I love this poem! It is really great!

Fallen-Hazel-Angel. replied...
I liked the poem alot it was really an eye opener. to the point but not exageratedly blunt. ilove it. check out my poems: I will not stand, dear brother do you remember & when you look me in the eye. I'm kind of a newbie so I'd definetly love some feedback!(:

Lola_Black replied...
I'll read your poems if you'll read mine : )

Fallen-Hazel-Angel. replied...
haha ok what are the names of yours?(:

purplequeen replied...
Aug. 1, 2011 at 8:43 am
Same with me guys!

Lola_Black replied...
Just click on my name and it will take you right to them. Same goes for anyone else