No, You Cannot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It is a new nation,
a nation that proudly proclaims:
“Yes we can.”
But what power holds “yes we can,”
when America has told many of our
brothers and sisters
“no, you cannot”?
You cannot follow your heart.
You cannot move forward.
You cannot take a hand.
You cannot break the mold.
“Marriage is a holy bond
for a man and a woman
it is not yours to taint,” they say.
Where is the future?
Relentlessly we must
keep striving for a better day.
We must stop this hatred
and bring about change in the
wake of defeat.

Dreammer said...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 11:36 am
I really love this poem .. It's very true please look at dome of mine if you'd like

EnigmaticBeing said...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 12:41 am
The message is understandable, but whether or not I agree with it isn't something I'm sure about.

indimcmathz said...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 12:37 am
I love this, and I love the message.

Lexie96 said...
I really like it, and I agree with what you are saying also. How do we have freedom of religion in America when everything is ruled with principles based off of religion? If you or anyone else could check out my work sometime that would be great!

TheIntellectualOne said...
the viewpoint of this message is a bit unobstructed

authorgirl_4_19 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
at what point, though, does the "yes we can"s cross the line, and breach the moral code?

Larz2 said...
inspirational

inspiredbytheworld said...
This is a beautiful poem, and I entirely agree with your views. I do not believe that homosexuality should be looked down upon. In my opinion, to outlaw same-sex marriage is to imply Christian principles. The government of America is supposedly represented by the people, for the people, but how did we end up making same-sex marriage illegal when some Americans are Atheist? I believe that if two men or two women want to marry, they should be free to do so. If America is a free country, then why a... (more »)

HollonCharlsie said...
i really like it. your words give out so much power and emotion. its wonderful:)

maraquette.koss said...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 9:11 am
This is a beautiful pice! i like the intesity of it

Narene_baby said...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 12:05 am
I really like the power in your word... If you could check out my stuff. Just trying to get some feedback. Thanks. :D

lonelyLaviathin said...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 11:31 am
good but it would be better if it were thikened up. just a bit.

me me lala gitl replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 9:05 am
me to but it was a great story

cayaTW This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved your opinion.  I loved the way you portrayed it in your poem. I just read some of the comments and it makes me mad that some people are so closed minded especially one in particular.

thatclarintetgirl said...
I ahte hipcrites, but love your cause!

Loleeta96 said...
I love your poem and i totally agree with your veiws!

Hester said...
I don't agree with your views, but this is a well-written piece. Bravo!

MissUnderStood.2011 said...
This is very good :)

SamiLynn said...
i like the use of quotes :) it added power to the poem

Jaded_Memories said...

This is a good poem doll.Those who are shamelessly self promoting on someone else's work should really be embaressed. Read this poem, and give your feedback, but don't use this as an open spot to promote yourself. Do that elsewhere, not on others work. The constitution gives us the right to freedom of religion, this includes to not have a religiong also, so why in most states here in the U.S the goverment is still making laws based on the Christian religion is a mystery, and dissapointment to... (more »)