No, You Cannot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It is a new nation,
a nation that proudly proclaims:
“Yes we can.”
But what power holds “yes we can,”
when America has told many of our
brothers and sisters
“no, you cannot”?
You cannot follow your heart.
You cannot move forward.
You cannot take a hand.
You cannot break the mold.
“Marriage is a holy bond
for a man and a woman
it is not yours to taint,” they say.
Where is the future?
Relentlessly we must
keep striving for a better day.
We must stop this hatred
and bring about change in the
wake of defeat.

juliamolly said...
Apr. 7 at 9:45 pm
Really like this! But--i think the audience could get very confused including myself with the repetition and I think you should work on word choice more. Nice concept :)

LestyP said...
This poem is straightforward and true. And, yes, we all must continue striving :)

MarieAntoinette2012 said...
Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:13 am
I like this poem a lot. I agree that homosexuals should have rights because they are citizens and in the end that is what this boils down to plain and simple. I'm sorry but we are obsessed with our rights so we have to look at this aspect. In the end, we have to ask ourselves this: Does religion out way the rights of our citizens? Great job, Kayla.

shepherdThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Verry well writen. I totaly agree with you.

Aduke9 said...
A very passionate piece and so truthful. You are a great writer.

natjane27 said...
May 6, 2012 at 8:30 am
amazing poem :D i like the repetition of the "you cannot", it really creates an impact. keep writing :)

curlygurlray said...
May 6, 2012 at 2:40 am
this is really good because this deals with my problems and many more congrads on a job well done(;

Mimi15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow! This is really great. Sorry for the advertising, but do you mind checking out some of my newer work? Keep writing :)

mylifestarringme said...
Wow that is so true.

jasso said...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:19 am

i love it , it holds a lot of truth

and this truth is not only in america but in a lot contries...

Muzix said...
I agree and great job

Lillie M. said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:09 am
It'd be hard to disagree with that. Your point is so perfectly made, and true.

thebrighterparts said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:49 am
I agree utterly.

D. said...
Not only is this a beautifully written poem, it gets accross a point that is 100% true. Your repetition of 'you cannot' really shows what the central theme of the poem is. Even if I didn't have the same beliefs, I would be hard pressed to disagree after reading a poem like this.

jesusfreak23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Christianity is not a religion. it is a relationship. an amazing, indescribable, real relationship with our creator. society and government has morphed being a Christian into something restricting and "unconstitutional".

thebrighterparts replied...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:49 am
I disagree. I don't think that Christianity has been made unconstitutional; I believe that people must disagree. Christianity is a beautiful religion. Being a homosexual is just part of who and what you are. You can't change that.

jesusfreak23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
that's where i believe many people are wrong. their minds are too conformed to the concepts and beliefs of this society. not everyone is bold enough to be unconformed and set themselves apart from the crowd for God. but hey. people are going to disagree.

theatregirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
the brighter part, i think you are right. plus, even if you don't agree with message of poem, you must admit it is well thought out and good.

soldierx said...
This is sooo true, i love it! Good job. (:

Jazzimaniac said...
WOW this is so true!