I've Seen Your Beauty

You’re having surgery tomorrow,
Letting them plump your lips with lies and fill your face
With feinted praise,
And all the while you’ll console yourself
Again and again:
“I’ll look beautiful when I wake.”

Oh, everyone knows your medical history is voluminous;
Your files are stacked high on his desk
As you eagerly ask
With eyes wide, knuckles white:
“Will this make me beautiful?”

He just smiles and nods,
And I am in awe
That he is blind to what is right
In front of him.
Because your so-called blemishes
Are kisses from the angels themselves,
Despite what others may have pronounced,
And I’ll hold your hand if the voices
Get too loud.

But you pry my fingers
From your own
And let them strap you down to the table with words,
And allow them to alter your appearance with pungent precision,
All because you’ve yearned for someone
Who would recognize beauty
Within your eyes.

And you’ll never know
That it is I
Who always have.

Midnight5765This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 6 at 7:05 pm:
It's amazing how many people are self-conscious of their appearance and think they will feel better by changing themselves. Glad you can see true beauty instead of the kind the earth pretends to make.

Janelle7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 20 at 10:29 am:
Wow! Amazing! My favorite part were these lines "Because your so-called blemishes  Are kisses from the angels themselves,"

TaylorBreanne said...
Jan. 30 at 8:45 pm:
I LOVED this. Haha. It gave me chills. It's also very true. Many people don't see how beautiful they really are nor do they consider that someone may consider them beautiful. This is probably one of my favorite poems I have read on Teenink! Fantastic job!

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 31 at 6:41 pm :
Thank you :)

fallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 3 at 9:43 am :
I loved this dude I was fangirling on this side it was just perfect! The last line gave me chills it serious screamed how the speaker loved/cared for the person Well done holy cow that was good.