When The Mask Falls Off | Teen Ink

When The Mask Falls Off

December 22, 2013
By LeilaASayong GOLD, Huntington Beach, California
LeilaASayong GOLD, Huntington Beach, California
12 articles 1 photo 1 comment

You know, sometimes, you can be surrounded by people, yet still feel alone.
You can be told a million times that you're loved, yet still feel you're not.
You can be guarded and protected by two million body guards, yet still feel exposed.
You can feel your beating heart against the palm of your hand, yet still feel as though it's been shattered to pieces.
You can hear every breath you take, yet still feel as though you've died.
You can be seen by three hundred people, yet still feel like you're a ghost.
You can do the most amazing things, yet still no one's impressed.
You can do anything and everything, yet still feel no difference at all.
You can have a million dollars to your name, yet still feel like you're worthless.
You can pretend all you want that you're happy, yet behind that smile is a frown, behind those eyes are tears.
You can fool everyone you know into believing you're alright,
But one day, you are going to have no more strength to do so.
The mask that you've been wearing will eventually fall off.
You are going to have a breakdown.
You will fall apart.
But don't worry, breakdowns can cause breakthroughs, and things fall apart so that they may fall into place.
Now, when that day comes, when the day you finally let go of everything you've been holding back arrives,
Your smile will fade,
Your scars will show,
The tears you've held back for so long will start to roll.
Then, and only then, will people finally see how much hell you've been through, how much you've been holding back, how much you've been hurting.
Whether they stay or leave you in your darkest hours will be entirely up to them,
But whether you listen to the hurtful remarks they have to throw at you is up to you.
So...
Choose wisely.
But, remember three types of people;
Those who stayed with you in your difficult times,
Those who left you in your difficult times,
and those who put you in your difficult times.
The ones who stayed with you shall be remembered,
the ones who left you shall be forgotten,
and the ones who hurt you shall be avoided.
And, if those who hurt you come back to you saying sorry,
Remember,
Saying sorry doesn't mean there is any guilt,
and forgiving doesn't mean the pain is gone.
Choose wisely.