Spider

You played upon me, fragile,
Like a spider would its prey.
You wrapped me in nepenthe,
Spun me into my own bleak web
Spiraling deeper into hatred-bent,
Burnt fingertips dipped in torment
Dripping slowly in bitter repent.
Infused in your tangled deceit
Far too preoccupied to abide
While my ignorant oblivion kept me inside.
You've blinded me, but I still see
And despite everything you've taken,
You'll never grasp what's left of me.

.Royal.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 8 at 7:57 am
love this poem..YOU ROCK!!!

carolineklepper replied...
Apr. 25 at 8:28 am
Thanks so much!

asofnowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 7 at 7:45 pm
The metaphor was a great hook and the imagery was really nice and the emotion was great. A suggestion would be to elaborate more on the 'pain' and use more metaphors within it. Great job!

EmmaClaire0823This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:27 am
This is also really good. I love the metaphor of the spider. The figurative language was used very well and quite relatable. Personally, I don't like end rhymes on free verse, because free verse should have no set rhyme pattern, but that is a personal opinion. Keep up the great work.