Click | Teen Ink

Click

November 12, 2013
By hbrhr PLATINUM, Granville, Ohio
hbrhr PLATINUM, Granville, Ohio
20 articles 0 photos 3 comments

"Out of my-click-thoughts! You-click-are part of my-click-existence, part of myself. Click-You-click-have-click-been in every line-click-I have ever-click-read, since I first-click, click-came-click-here..."-click. My. head. jerks. up. from. my. reading. to. find. the. perpetrator. They. lounge., leisurely., pen. poised. in. hand., their. finger. twitching. incessantly. up. and. down. on. it. My. eyes. leap. back. to. my. book., each. word. read. is. replaced. with. a. click., pounding. against. my. eardrum., clamoring. around. and. around. inside. my. skull. A. torturous. metronome. to. my. life. I. blink. hard. with. every. snap. tap. crack., glaring. daggers. at. their. finger. dancing. over. the top. of. the. pen. I. will. the. object. to. leap. from. their. hands. and. click. cliCK. CLICK. itself. right. against. their. thick. head.
A. unaffected. friend. turns. to. speak. to. me., utterly. oblivious. to. the. snaps. cracks. pops. acting. as. an. unwanted. period. in. every. word., every. syllable., every moment. of. every. sentence. she. says. The. taps. vibrate. to. the. very. core. of. my. bones., make. me. clench. my. jaw., force. my. fingers. to. tap. along. with. the. beat. My. hand. slams. down. on. the. table. causing. the. alleged. clicker. to. jump., startled. into. silence. Their wide eyes turn towards me full or oblivious innocence. I force a smile through gritted teeth, "could you please stop that?" mock sweetness oozes from my words. I watch with dark glee as they nod and place the pen silently on their desk, to its grave.


The author's comments:
The first line that is periodically interrupted by clicks is a quote from Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.