Death Certificate

Darkness encumbers
Light is evaporated
As the tiny child slumbers
His problems are emancipated
Falling deeper and deeper
Into a state of oblivion
Pulled completely under
Never to awaken again

They try to rear the child awake
But nothing can be done
His mom uses water
His father, a gun
The legacy is dead
The bloodline has been severed
All because the Reaper
Had a certificate to be delivered

ShagunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 21 at 3:13 am
Whoa. This is going to keep me up at night. Excellent use of words. I believe the best peoms are in which people can draw their own meaning. I thought that 'water' referrred to how the mother became an alcoholic.  One last thing, maybe you could have written 'the reaper in white had a certificate to be delivered' i mean, the irony being that the reaper (a doctor) is dressed in white.  But anyway, great job !

heartagramflex replied...
Jan. 21 at 5:15 pm
Wow! I love your suggestion for the last line! Thank you!

thomakab14 said...
Wow, Crazy haunting. I was wondering soemthing. There are two ways to interpret the "His mom uses water His father a gun" A. The mom is coping by using alcohol or 'water' and the father copes with suicide by gun. B. The mom splashes the baby with good ol' H2O and the dad tries to use an AED or other electrical 'gun.'  Let me know what's up!

heartagramflex replied...
I like your take on the situation! What I intended for it was: His mom relaizes her baby dies and drowns herself. The dad commits suicide with a gun.    Thanks for checking it out!

JaneySilas said...
This is beautiful and sad in all the right ways. 

heartagramflex replied...
Thank you so much. I sincerely appreciate the feedback! :D Check out my other submissions!