to a boy about a girl

i am thinking of the two of you
side by side-
she is small and soft where you are a long straight line
someone drew on my life a few christmases ago
when i was new and beautiful and
entirely unprepared.
each of you have my
love tattooed on your lives,
and i'm sorry if i have stained or smarted.

i told her about the secret
lights i listen for when i miss you,
drowning myself in sweet steam and dreaming
of a way to retain the simplicity
of being young and adored.

she understood.
there is not much she doesn't understand.

you would love her for her joy,
i think, and for her old soul,
for her bravery.
here, you would say, is a girl
who has seen a war
and danced through the rubble
on bleeding feet,
her eyes shining,
her hands open and clean.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I would love it if you shared some insight about this. (Heck, on of all of them. But I can't do that.) I feel like there's something in there, in the midst of these jeweled words, something deeper and bare. An emotion that some of us have felt. Your imagery stuns me—always. The innocence of childhood is pictured perfectly. Adults and society stain the ermine white inonocence of a child. Children are never born prejudiced; we make them that way, infiltrating their pure minds with ou... (more »)

MyApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:16 pm :
It is just love. Just life. Setting the two people whose love, out of all that in my experience so far, is most exquisite, beside each other. You may guess that Ciaran is one of these. This is essentially a little aside to him, thinking about the reasons he may approve of the more recent and equally beautiful human for whom I have that same level of affection, even though it's been a few years now, and experience and cynicism has made it more difficult for me to love anyone so dearly. &nbs... (more »)