for rose, a brave one

tiny broken thing,
you don't have to be so scared.
i know you are little
and the world, even my world,
is a giant awful place,
and i can't promise
you'll always be safe,
but you can at least be still, here on my
breast, in the cinnamon firstsnow
warm-in-a-red-quilt night.
you don't have to beat your working wing, now,
sweet small thing,
or jump away from me;
i will be your home
and you may perch on my life
and make your quiet noise
as long as you like.
i will do you no harm.

i will do you
no harm.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yes! I can relate with this one. Share-something-personal-about-yourself-story-time-since-you-did-it-first-time: We have two birds; I think they're parakeets (Australian parakeets, I don't know; all I know is that they're d*mn cute). A couple of months ago, the female bird hurt her leg, We're not sure what happened with her. We took her to the vet in like the middle of the night, since we were so worried that she wouldn't make it till the next day. They put a cast of her leg.... (more »)

MyApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:02 pm :
When I am old and too stubborn to be married, I will be a bird lady (as opposed to cat lady). We have three birds, counting Rose; an umbrella cockatoo we adopted (he was neglected and had taken to eating his own feathers off out of loneliness, so he's super ugly and scraggly. But he sings and dances and is so full of love and cuddliness) and a perfect little cockatiel. They are as much my family as anyone. Anyway. Rose probably won't ever heal correctly. Her legs are a little messed up... (more »)