To Twist One's Thumb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A million times she’s told me
To keep that window blind closed
She blames it on the neighbors
And how they might see in
And see me changing
And I look at her and think
Maybe I want them to see me
Changing because I know that
That would twist your thumb
Without even touching you
And so that window blind speaks
To me and says how it hopes I’ll
Keep it open, convincing me with
Words like sunlight and rebellion
And twirling its cord around in a
Game of hide-and-seek hoping
That I’ll give up until my mother
Twists my thumb with bringing
Velvet curtains into the picture
Thick enough to block out light.

Lola_Black said...
Nice! Once upon a time, it was my old man who would constantly remind me to close the blinds. I laughed when the cat tore them to pieces!

msoccerm345 said...

my mom tells me this like every single day.. although i dont really argue with her because i dont want my neighboors to see me naked.. haha

great piece of writing:)

LegendInTheMaking replied...
True Dat my friend!

bound4life4ever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
OMG! THATS SO FUNNY! MY MOM ND I ARE ALWAYS ARGUIN BOUT CLOSIN THE BLINDS! wow.. thats cool how u made thius poem ..love it btw!

OriginalCarbonation said...
i think i like it alot, but im not completly sure i understand its meaning... explain anyone?

WaterGirl23 replied...
basically, what i think, she wants to keep her blinds open because she wants to annoy her mother and rebell against her rules. but then her mother got curtains, so it blocks out the sunshine

xovanillatwilightxo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
amazing, simply.

Emma.C.B said...
wow! boy have i been there lol. i love it.

Lilacs_Smell_Wonnerful This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Really good job! I have felt EXACTLY the same way towards my mother. :) I love the last four lines. They give the whole poem a deeper and more in-depth look. :) Please keep writing!

-Lilac

sonido48 said...
Excellent, love the concept of change desplayed.

iridescentbubbles This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 11:48 am
I love this - especially the concept of you "changing," and how the reader can play with the multiple definitions of the word to see the different layers of the poem. Check out some of my stuff: http ://www.teenink .com /search.php?smodel=article&s_title=&s_body=&s_screenname=iridescentbubbles&s_firstname=&s_lastname=&s_city=&s_state=&s_country=&s_section=&sart_tag=&sart_category0=&sart_screenname=&sart_firstname=&sart_lastname=... (more »)

Jimmy_flash said...
Dec. 31, 2009 at 4:19 am
simply wonderful! one of my fav poems

EleanorRigby This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
my mom yells at me for that all the time and i so relate to the rest of your poem too, my mom even bought thick curtains cuz she was angry but i open them all the time anyway cuz i like the windows open even if people can see me, great job

climbergirl said...
I can't really relate to wanting to twist your mother's thumb but the poem is well constructed. I might choose to use stronger imagery, but thats just my style.

chongalisious said...
Apr. 1, 2009 at 12:12 am
u guys have no liife to write a comment on all the poems!! dont u have anything better to do gosh!! but btw like the poem

xhelloxlovex14 said...
Feb. 20, 2009 at 3:31 am
My mother says the exact same thing to me... about people looking in at a teenage girl changing. I keep my blonds open to piss her off. Loved the poem

Lit Up Magazine said...
Feb. 20, 2009 at 1:45 am
good stuff, well done

tweedle dee said...
hey, this was good. liked how you used curtains as an example for so much more. great job!

f-dog said...
i didnt get it if he wants to keep the window open then let him

flipflopsandsox said...
Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:20 am
this is so interesting! =]
way to go gurll