Letter to Individuality This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Individuality, dearest one,

What has become of you?
You are a flower so rare in this “modern” world.
Pray tell, were you hiding from the world again,
With Chivalry and Dignity, your secret friends?

It’s sad, the world without you.
Did you hear Hope is lost,
And Purity was taken?
What has happened to Forgiveness, you ask?
You’d best not know.
Chaos bullies Innocence,
And Sin rules supreme.

And poor Love and Romance,
The sisters are no more.
My dearest neighbors went away,
And Lust has moved next door.

And Imagination
Was run over by the band wagon.
And Faith, her fate worse than death –
The world believes her irrelevant.

Please, before more are taken,
Save the world, for it is shaken,
Teach us to think for ourselves,
So the Virtues may return.

Always yours,
Emily

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this. The personification was cool and it was an interesting subject. I also liked the form, as if it was a journal entry or something of the sort.

MattieMuu said...
No. Just, no. I'm so tired of everyone tlaking about how different they are from everyone else. You realize everyone says this kind of thing right? Grow up and stop whining. Show us how you're different. Show people how you're special instead of insulting those you think aren't.

taytaynicholeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i love it! youre realy talented:)

inkblot13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:21 am:

awesome job! I've been reading a lot of your stuff, and this has got to be my favorite so far. :D It flowed really well and I liked how you personified each virtue.

(PS- Do you think you can check out some of my stuff??)

EnigmaticBeingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like that you turned the words into characters. As if they each were human. Words are human in a way though. They all have something -whether it be meaningful or obsolete- to say.

ShadowriderThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 12:25 am:
Oh this is great! It's hilarious and yet sad. I loved it! The way everything flowed and rhymed, was AMAZING! I love the very idea! Great job! I totally agree with that this is the best poem I've read yet on this site!

maybeoneday said...
By far the best poem i've read.

TheJustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is my favorite poem I've ever read in Teen Ink (tied with Chaos Theory and Hey Boy I wanna Breathe)! I can't believe I found it here on the website!! Amazing!!

OriginalCarbonation said...

i really like this!! i like the personification, and the way you describe the fate of all of the virtues once held sacred. my favorite part is the stanza about purity and forgiveness and such. its just so perfectly explained. the only two things that seem out of place are the part with modern in quotes, that just seems odd, like it could be phrased better. and the second one is individuality... i like the premise, but how does that have to do with the virtues? maybe im was just missing it.more »)

Swim Nut said...
I LOVE THIS POEM!  It's so different.  Our class got an issue of Teen Ink, and we had a disscusion on this poem! Keep up the good work.

Dessometrics said...
Oct. 18, 2010 at 10:03 am:
beautiful work

xovanillatwilightxo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i love this. write on.

through_my_eyes said...
interesting and unique, what made you think of this?

annika_katryn said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 8:17 pm:
know that you are not alone, and your words speak for millions. thankyou for this.

Egyptiangirl13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 9:31 pm:
wow what an interesting way to puit this strong statment-awesome job-beautiful!! please check out some of my work if you get the chance!!!

SarahJumps said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:57 pm:
amazing. wonderfully said.

Taylor-pop said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 10:52 pm:
Your writting is so amazingly beautiful and real and it makes me think of my friends and i love it! x keep this up.

Laughternchoclate said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 2:09 pm:

Wow! 2 mags!

storyofmylife said...
wow. this was wonderful. it completely described how messed up our society is. i need to post some new stuff on here. but anyways i enjoy readin yours ;>

Hope_PrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is THE best poem I have every read...I love it beyond comprehension and it's got the unspeakable truth which doubles my love for it.