Ode to the Author

You taught me lessons through other’s mouths,
Until I was dazzled by your brilliance,
Even though half the time I forgot you
Were there in the background,
Quietly twisting words into maps,
Until I lost myself completely,
Happily, surrendering myself to
Your stories, swirling through
History and fantasy
Gasping for breath
And treasuring the first time
I read my favorite passage
Almost twice as much as the
Hundredth time I re-read it.
You were there for me when no one else was
Late at night, in the hospital,
I kept you under my pillow.
Later, I kept your frozen words close to me
As if your characters could be my friends.
Now I want to be like you
(not that I could ever be as good)
I want to write until I disappear
Into the world I create, leaving
Traces of wisdom and friendship
For other lost souls to find.
If I can make one single person
feel the way you made me feel
Than I will be the happiest person in the world.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 5:32 pm:
To get done with the criticism, Targon pointed it out, so off now to praise! I wish I was able to tell this to all of my favorite authors as well, even though they're many many many. To just tell them, "Thank you for writing." It would be a dream come true. Well done with this poem. It feels genuine and I know many readers as well as writers would love to tell their favorite writers the same. 

ROYCEPHUSThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 8:19 pm :
Thanks. It wasn't by any stretch of the imagination by best poem, but it was heartfelt. Glad you could relate :)

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 10:24 am:
you know, i kinda wish i could write a thank you to all my favorite authors as well, but i am pretty sure that i would leave too many out. a good poem, to be sure. there is a small error though, the last line should be "then i will be the happiest person in the world."

yesterday at 6:31 pm :
Thanks for finding the error. I appreciate it. I agree it would be wonderful if I could thank all my favorite authors. Thanks for reading..have a nice day :)