Fear Itself

Troubled slumber cocooned between sheets of fire;
the devils trident prodding relentlessly through the mattress,
my anguish his only desire.
My nightmares grapple every conscious state,
the grip of Hades dragging me down to his domain.
An empty cry suffocated on a swarm of spiders,
drowning me in internal pain.
Through the enclosed space of a tunnel of madness,
I'm bonded to my fear.
I lash out in hope,
but my heart quivers in the damp surroundings where my death is clear.
I lay paralyzed and shaken,
flung to every circle of hell.
A naked witch prancing,
undoubtedly casting a paranoia spell.
My lover’s carcass decaying before me with every second of dismay.
My eyes deceive me, they refuse to obey.
The abyss of darkness consuming me,
falling through deaths gaze.
My sanity lost in my mind,
among the illogical maze.
Fear is an instinct against the existence of darkness,
a fantasist’s own private punisher.
With terror in my heart due to my Achilles heel,
my mind becomes my own torturer;

but none of it was real.

M. said...
yesterday at 2:41 pm:
This is beautiful. You truly have a talent for poetry. "Troubled slumber cocooned between sheets of fire" - From lines like this, it is evident that you are a master in the world of imagery. I love how you've put in every kind of fear you could think of, so it speaks to almost everyone who reads it. I especially like the last line, "But none of it is real" and how emphatic it is. Good job!

BlackbeltJamesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 6:20 pm :
Wow, thanks for the comment, I'm glad you enjoyed it and really took time to understand each fear and every aspect of the poem. I mean on that line itself you have fear of sleeping (which infers the fear of the dark), clostrophobia and the fear of fire. Thanks! :D

OldYoungOneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 10 at 3:25 pm:
Ah, the script of fear. I enjoyed the imagery given throughout this poem (it legit made me look over my shoulder while reading to make sure I was safe). The message in this is executed. I especially love the last line reducing fear to the imagination of hearts and minds. It gives a sort of hope to the reader to triumph and face those silly fears he or she may have. Well Done.

Mar. 10 at 7:11 pm :
Well paranoia is an effect of fear haha. I just tried to summarise a lot of common and uncommon fears together in a single persons head. I'm glad you understood it, I was really trying to capture the philosophy of fear within the poem, while reminding people that there is still hope, and no matter how much fear their is, they stll have control.  I'm glad you enjoyed it :) 

Distant_FreedomThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 26 at 9:58 pm:
This was really good. I can't really relate since I don't experience fear of much, but it also was something different from mine own writing since I've written about fear. Very well written.

Mar. 10 at 7:01 pm :
Don't worry, I don't personally experience much fear myself, but I find that it gives us more of an objective view on the subject, allowing us to access more of its philosophy than the simple nature of it. Glad you enjoyed it :)

EvetteTThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
  I could imagine myself there. I love how you ended it

Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:27 am :
Thanks, I just tried to combine every fear I could think of just to make it affect every person that reads it, to show them that fear is in our heads, we can overcome it or listen to its wisdom, but in the end it is individual to us and it is not always a reality like we think it is. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it :)

BlackbeltJamesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:12 am:
All feedback is appreciated, so please comment and rate :)