Theory on Religion

Early this Monday morning
I prayed to God
but He didn’t respond:
I supposed He was busy
answering some other urgent prayer
while listening to a myriad
other prayers all at once.
So I headed downtown
to a nearby synagogue;
the rabbi, however,
told me to leave
for not being Jewish:
the Hebrew Lord
can’t waste His time
with a “filthy Gentile”.
I walked into a cathedral
and confessed to a bishop;
he said
I’d better repent
or I’d go straight to Hell;
yet I wasn’t searching
eternal damnation—
but temporary redemption.
The Buddhist temple
was closed today:
they don’t congregate
on weekdays.
The mosque was too full
for my taste.
And atheists never meet anywhere
with fellow non-believers.
I headed home,
believing prayers were futile
and left on the deities’ desks
like propaganda ads
or complaint letters.
But I found God,
brewing coffee—
a mug for Him
and one for me—
in my kitchen:
He’d been waiting for me
for an hour,
while I was out there,
seeking some other answer
rather than waiting for the one I asked for in the beginning.

honest_iagoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 8 at 9:27 am:
Yes! This is perfect! I love the ending.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 4 at 4:43 pm :
thanks! ^j^

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
AHHH, I love this. I'm favoriting it NOW. The ending really caught me by surprise for some reason, you were kinda depressing me at the beginning. LOVE this. URGH, I hate you and your talent :P

Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:08 pm :
I friggin love you and your jealousy. :P Thanks. Glad, you liked this enough to favorite. I'm honored. I had a feeling that out of anyone who would read this, you'd like it the best. Nice to know. XD 

BorderlineGenius777 said...
Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:10 am:
I love your take on religion. thank you for sharing this work of art.

Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:05 pm :
Thank you for reading. 

ChrisTid7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I really love this poem because it's so unique, especially for a religious poem... I really love that you gave othr religions (and athiesm) a chance before falling back into God's arms and showing that you'll go in a circle if you leave where you belong. It's really descriptive and poetic at the same time. Great job!!!

Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:33 pm :
Thank you so much for that comment. I really appreciate how you took the time to decipher every aspect of it, then grasp the meaning.

ChrisTid7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 25 at 8:04 pm :
You know, it's great that you reply to people's comments. I've seen few other people who take the time to do it.

ramfthomas4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great job, McKay!  I love how you went through each religion in turn.  Your comments on them were funny, factual and insightful. Go God! 5/5

Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:35 pm :
Ramfthomas4, thank you so much. I appreciate that you think this poem is amusing. I didn't want it to be all serious, though it is kinda, or dreary, as some religious poems can be. Thank you! And Amen! 

Krasota-Butterflies-and-AngelsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was so unique and beautiful. I just loved the ending to it :D Maybe it's because I fangirl over coffee every time I see the word (COFFEEEEEEEEEEEE), but this was truly a witty piece. For me, I felt as if I could associate with the narrator's discouragement. Beautiful work :D Keep it up, bro. 5/5

Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm :
Hey, Krasota, thanks so much for taking the time to read this poem and then comment on it. I'm a fangirl of coffee too. (Or fanboy, either way.) Thank so much for relating to this piece. I wanted to create that feeling of being able to relate to the speaker of this poem. Glad it worked out.