Theory on Religion

Early this Monday morning
I prayed to God
but He didn’t respond:
I supposed He was busy
answering some other urgent prayer
while listening to a myriad
other prayers all at once.
So I headed downtown
to a nearby synagogue;
the rabbi, however,
told me to leave
for not being Jewish:
the Hebrew Lord
can’t waste His time
with a “filthy Gentile”.
I walked into a cathedral
and confessed to a bishop;
he said
I’d better repent
or I’d go straight to Hell;
yet I wasn’t searching
eternal damnation—
but temporary redemption.
The Buddhist temple
was closed today:
they don’t congregate
on weekdays.
The mosque was too full
for my taste.
And atheists never meet anywhere
with fellow non-believers.
I headed home,
believing prayers were futile
and left on the deities’ desks
like propaganda ads
or complaint letters.
But I found God,
brewing coffee—
a mug for Him
and one for me—
in my kitchen:
He’d been waiting for me
for an hour,
while I was out there,
seeking some other answer
rather than waiting for the one I asked for in the beginning.

BlondieArts said...
today at 9:05 pm
I was reading this, and you know what? This is special. It's real. Good job.

Ray--yoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 16, 2015 at 5:22 am
This is a view I share in a way. Brilliantly written, McKay.

honest_iagoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 8, 2014 at 9:27 am
Yes! This is perfect! I love the ending.

Mckay This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
thanks! ^j^

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
AHHH, I love this. I'm favoriting it NOW. The ending really caught me by surprise for some reason, you were kinda depressing me at the beginning. LOVE this. URGH, I hate you and your talent :P

I friggin love you and your jealousy. :P Thanks. Glad, you liked this enough to favorite. I'm honored. I had a feeling that out of anyone who would read this, you'd like it the best. Nice to know. XD 

BorderlineGenius777 said...
Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:10 am
I love your take on religion. thank you for sharing this work of art.

Thank you for reading. 

ChrisTid7 said...
I really love this poem because it's so unique, especially for a religious poem... I really love that you gave othr religions (and athiesm) a chance before falling back into God's arms and showing that you'll go in a circle if you leave where you belong. It's really descriptive and poetic at the same time. Great job!!!

Thank you so much for that comment. I really appreciate how you took the time to decipher every aspect of it, then grasp the meaning.

ChrisTid7 replied...
You know, it's great that you reply to people's comments. I've seen few other people who take the time to do it.

ramfthomas4 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great job, McKay!  I love how you went through each religion in turn.  Your comments on them were funny, factual and insightful. Go God! 5/5

Ramfthomas4, thank you so much. I appreciate that you think this poem is amusing. I didn't want it to be all serious, though it is kinda, or dreary, as some religious poems can be. Thank you! And Amen! 

Krasota-Butterflies-and-Angels This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was so unique and beautiful. I just loved the ending to it :D Maybe it's because I fangirl over coffee every time I see the word (COFFEEEEEEEEEEEE), but this was truly a witty piece. For me, I felt as if I could associate with the narrator's discouragement. Beautiful work :D Keep it up, bro. 5/5

Hey, Krasota, thanks so much for taking the time to read this poem and then comment on it. I'm a fangirl of coffee too. (Or fanboy, either way.) Thank so much for relating to this piece. I wanted to create that feeling of being able to relate to the speaker of this poem. Glad it worked out.