I’m different. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

People go to school to learn.
I go to argue.
I do not sit and digest the banal information.
The opinions disguised as facts.
I like to refute and refuse.
Sometimes people get annoyed.
They say I'm just lazy,
that I don't understand how the world works,
or how a student must act.

That translates to scholastic failure,
yet intellectual success.

I write proficiently,
yet I despise writing in-school papers.
I'd rather discuss.
Like the philosophers of eras past.
All a paper does,
is to convince yourself.
Yourself!
Of your own self-righteous opinion.
If you discuss,
Discourse,
Digress,
Digest.
You learn to appreciate,
and you learn how to learn.

I can:
Refuse,
Refute,
Resolve.

I can:
Accept,
Amass,
Assemble.

We can take our new ideas.
Teach each other how to learn.
Who in turn can educate others.
Perhaps,
our educators can learn
to teach what we learned
when we:
Discussed,
Discoursed,
Digested.

I told you I was different.

GleekGamer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Awesome job! I've always said tests are not a true measure of intelligence, and you appear to be a truly intelligent person.

Zesty_Taco This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 17, 2013 at 10:53 pm :
Alas, intelligence is so revered in today's society. One cannot observe news without intelligence being articulated as something beyond the general populace. Schools make out brilliant writers and philosophers as mythical beings. Maybe one day we will all realize that we all have some sort of intelligence, and it only takes an open mind to realize one's full potential.

jewelia said...
I'm truly in love with this poem. I think you're writing about a scenario that many, many people can relate to and are currently experiencing - especially since you're posting on a site that's more likely to have more in-depth and thoughtful minds and tendencies. It's long and detailed, but all the same, it gets the point across. Love!

thewriter247This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is very meaningful and well-written. Thank you for posting this! I absolutely love it.