Of Oranges and Plums This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

The wicker basket
brimmed with
plump oranges
sits on your

cold granite
counter-top
untouched
like I gave it

to you last week
A layer of
woolly dust
swathes each orange

you did not
peel
or slice
or juice

I however
did enjoy
the purple plum
chilled and sweet

that you gave me
yesterday
when I asked you
for it

GonzaloTovilla said...
today at 9:27 pm:
i enjoyed this poem. This is a great example of how poems should be written.

ElysiumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 27 at 2:23 am:
I choose to interpret this poem as a relationship in which one person is putting far more effort than the other....really connected with me, thanks for writing, nice job on editors choice!

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 27 at 8:06 pm :
Thank you! Really appreciate it. 

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:33 am:
This is amazing, wow... the subtle almost-friendly accusation near the end with the plum compared to the oranges was brilliantly executed (for lack of a better word :P)! I really love it :)

Apr. 18 at 6:46 pm :
Thanks :) Always appreciate (did I spell that right? I'm loosing it.) your feedback. 

RayynbowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I think your poem is thought provoking and interesting. I like how one gave the other a whole bowl of oranges and the other gave the one just a plumb. It's like that's all it takes to make the one happy. Nice work!

Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:51 pm :
Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Truly appreciate it.

LaChouette This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hmm... (this is me thinking of the meaning of your poem). I really like this piece. Your construction of it really draws you in and makes the parts you want to stand out stand out. I think you did a very good job with it. As for the meaning...
I get the sense of under- appreciation or 'mine-is-better-than-yours' kind of thing. I'm not sure why, but this is what I think when I read this. It feels as if the person who gave the other the plum has an attitude that they're bette... (more »)

Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm :
Hey, LaChouette. Thanks for reading this piece and for taking the time to fathom its meaning. I've never thought about it in the way you mentioned. Now, that I read it again, I see what you're saying. Thank you for giving another meaning to this poem. 

Krasota-Butterflies-and-AngelsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I feel like this poem's talking about someone friend-zoning another person, but they're being nice about it. That's what I got out of this excellent piece ^_^ Yet again, congrats on the award! You deserve it. :)

Sept. 18, 2013 at 6:53 pm :
That is one interpretation I hadn't really thought of when I wrote this. Nonetheless, I love it. Thank you, Krasota. 

SaphiraBrightscales said...
Mckay, you perfect poet. It's like these check marks have become a regular with you. Well, congratultions I shall never forget :P No matter how regular it becomes. And it should, I am so proud of you. You deserve more published work. This poem made me smile a lot. I loved loved the story and the structure added symmetry and life to it. The last two stanzas : Epic.  I don't think there's anything I could point out except this time you capitalized your "I's ?? ....Love ... (more »)

Sept. 14, 2013 at 4:02 pm :
I do hope they become more regular with me. Thank you so much for your kind feedback. I always appreciate them. And yeah, this time I did capitalize the I's.