Instinct

I am the wild.
I am the obedient child of the Moon.
No creature can withstand my attack;
Try to avoid my powerful legs, the violent snapping of my jaws,
Or my clairvoyant, hypnotic eyes.
‘Fear me!’ I utter with the sheer power of my body.

Other scoundrels like me, heed my warning!
When I growl, know that I have already won.
My hair bristles in excitement as I accept
a challenge.
Lunge for me and I will destroy you.
You bear your teeth and I will bear mine back.
The warmth of your breath close to my face
Exhilarates me!

Our bodies collide, but I push you back,
And my teeth snap across your spine.
I hear you utter a whine and
I tighten my hold on you as I would with a piece of meat.
I can taste the saltiness of triumph as it floods my mouth
And run down the sides.

As I release defeat,
I relish in watching it limp away.
I show my triumph to all the others around,
Daring them with my intense look to
Challenge me.
The others back off and then go on their way.
I sit back on my haunches and howl.

mynameisnothabib said...
today at 9:56 am:
I really loved it! It gave me chills when you said the part about snapping your teeth across their spine. This poem is good.(:

LaChouetteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 10:25 am :
Thank You!

Krasota-Butterflies-and-AngelsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 21 at 1:22 pm:
Oops! I meant to say "though they" instead of just "though." My bad XD oh well, extra comment for you!

Oct. 21 at 1:19 pm:
Your diction is sophisticated and truly makes this poem remarkable. I enjoyed the feeling of freedom and adrenaline that coursed throughout the piece. In terms of revision/editing, I feel like you could add the word "though" after the line "No creature can withstand my attack" as I believe it would make the beginning flow a bit better. Otherwise, awesome work! Keep it up! 5/5

holly1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 12 at 5:43 pm:
Wow! The description and imagery you used was perfect, and I could picture every moment easily. Great poem!

Oct. 12 at 6:44 pm :
Thank You!

RoyalCoronaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 29 at 1:32 pm:
That was great!! I love The Call of the Wild too! This was expertly painted with words! Great job!

Sep. 29 at 3:59 pm :
Awesome and thank you!

Meital307 said...
Sep. 27 at 6:22 am:
WOW! I was both spooked and fascinated! I could picture every moment and I got chills! :)

Sep. 27 at 9:41 am :
Yay, thank you!

allhallowsevekatieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 20 at 10:55 am:
This poem is amazing I am sorry that i didnt get around to giving you feedback before this is wonderful i love your figurative languedge

Sep. 20 at 4:07 pm :
Thank You!

NetnelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 12 at 5:02 pm:
I absolutely loved this poem. I think it is one of your best.

Sep. 12 at 8:27 pm :
Aww, thank you so much!