Instinct

I am the wild.
I am the obedient child of the Moon.
No creature can withstand my attack;
Try to avoid my powerful legs, the violent snapping of my jaws,
Or my clairvoyant, hypnotic eyes.
‘Fear me!’ I utter with the sheer power of my body.

Other scoundrels like me, heed my warning!
When I growl, know that I have already won.
My hair bristles in excitement as I accept
a challenge.
Lunge for me and I will destroy you.
You bear your teeth and I will bear mine back.
The warmth of your breath close to my face
Exhilarates me!

Our bodies collide, but I push you back,
And my teeth snap across your spine.
I hear you utter a whine and
I tighten my hold on you as I would with a piece of meat.
I can taste the saltiness of triumph as it floods my mouth
And run down the sides.

As I release defeat,
I relish in watching it limp away.
I show my triumph to all the others around,
Daring them with my intense look to
Challenge me.
The others back off and then go on their way.
I sit back on my haunches and howl.

mynameisnothabib said...
Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:56 am
I really loved it! It gave me chills when you said the part about snapping your teeth across their spine. This poem is good.(:

LaChouette This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:25 am
Thank You!

Krasota-Butterflies-and-Angels This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oops! I meant to say "though they" instead of just "though." My bad XD oh well, extra comment for you!

Your diction is sophisticated and truly makes this poem remarkable. I enjoyed the feeling of freedom and adrenaline that coursed throughout the piece. In terms of revision/editing, I feel like you could add the word "though" after the line "No creature can withstand my attack" as I believe it would make the beginning flow a bit better. Otherwise, awesome work! Keep it up! 5/5

holly1999 said...
Wow! The description and imagery you used was perfect, and I could picture every moment easily. Great poem!

Thank You!

RoyalCorona said...
That was great!! I love The Call of the Wild too! This was expertly painted with words! Great job!

Awesome and thank you!

Meital307 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 27, 2013 at 6:22 am
WOW! I was both spooked and fascinated! I could picture every moment and I got chills! :)

Sept. 27, 2013 at 9:41 am
Yay, thank you!

allhallowsevekatie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 20, 2013 at 10:55 am
This poem is amazing I am sorry that i didnt get around to giving you feedback before this is wonderful i love your figurative languedge

Thank You!

Netnel said...
I absolutely loved this poem. I think it is one of your best.

Aww, thank you so much!