on becoming mud | Teen Ink

on becoming mud

By migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

the rain was like fingers
and fingers like drums
in the night and alive
and alive and still young

and the rain was so gentle
and gentle was rough
when the looking and wanting
stopped being enough

the rain was like lightning
when the bottles grew dry
and it stopped being frightening
and we stopped asking why

the rain made her skin cold
her skin was like earth
they turned me to mud
and they gave me some worth

the rain was like hearbeats
stumbled drunk though french doors
up stairways like treetrunks
bitten fruit to our cores

the rain knew our weakness
gave us thirst to end hurt
and the thirst gave us courage
to learn or desert

and the rain was our friendship
in a wet august world
in the hands of the worthy
lost boys and found girls

oh, that rain felt like fingers
and fingers from new
from another dimension
coloured brave black and blue

that rain felt like fingers
and fingers like drums
beating always to endings
but the night was so young

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Sometimes it's those poems where you're like "D*mn, now the the h*ll was I gonna do with this?" Always happens to me. Then I end up going to a direction I hadn't intended on following. You certainly seem like you know where you were going with this poem. XD Very enjoyable poem. Definitely. 

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

Hahahaha I didn't even know what I was doing here. I left myself a note on my phone a while ago with the beginning verse and I was like "Kayyyy. What am I gonna do with this." Glad you enjoyed ittt, ahaha

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Sometimes the best kind of poems are s*x poems when they're not explicitly about s*x. If that makes any sense at all. The imagery in here is just intimate and beautiful. I love the playfulness of the poem. And of course the emotion: the wanting and longing, the need of this other person, the somewhat envy of these other people enjoying each other, while the speaker is alone. And that ending is just so promising that I want the same, as I'm sure most readers will feel too. I do hope the night remains young forever. Great poem. Not sure why you didn't get the Editors' choice for this.