The Art of Racing in the Rain This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Alone, the rain is not your friend
It soaks your coat and taps your head
Your feet grow cold and you fill with dread
The long walk grows longer soaking wet

But today you are not alone
Another’s smile lies beneath makeup smears
As the sky lets go a million tears
Now you are racing in the rain

Now the rain no longer stings
As a sabal palm spreads its wings
To shelter two untroubled things
Racing in the rain

Eventually this storm will end
And again you will be just a friend
But for now that thought brings you no pain
The art of racing in the rain

WonderWisherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Very nice! Good flow and rythm! I thought it was very good at keeping the pace, it didn't speed up and slow down randomly. Also, very good conclusion! Was it inspired by the book? I haven't actually read the book but this was very good.

Sam P. replied...
Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:19 pm :
Thanks! It has nothing to do with the book, I have actually not even read the book. I was just looking around a room and saw a bookshelf where the title popped out at me.

Florescente said...
Wow! Nice poem ^_^ btw, is this inspired in the book??? I loved that book and I like your poem too

Sam P replied...
Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm :

Sam P. replied...
Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:26 pm :
Although now that I am thinking about this could relate to a dog. Except for the makeup smears, but perhaps if it was from the dog's perspective. I suppose poetry is all in how the reader interprets. It brings me memories completely unrelated to the book, but it could just as easily bring someone the same emotions they felt from that book, and that would not be incorrect in any way.

. said...
Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:31 am:
love it..... perfect piece of work :)

Blue..Skies.. said...
Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:15 am:
I loved this. Nice Work! :)