Reflection of a Streetlight on Water This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Pucker-lipped suckers
Gurgle to the surface
To goggle at the light.

A graceful swiftness
Of aqueous acrobatics
Sinks them into spiral.

Dusky shadows play
Atop the bubbly glass,
Illumination shatters.

Yet they fluidly glide
Back, flip frontwards to
That hopeful beacon,

Screaming against the
Silence, drowning out
Waves of glossy reason.

It is not wanted here.
Desire burns a shaded
Hollow through scales.

Curious allure triggers
Forward sprint circuits,
A passion to rival Gatsby's.

In the thin sparkly haven
They dwell without end,
Fish in a forgotten pond.

Pompously pressing on,
They lodge against muddy
Walls, brazen barriers.

For the flight is over,
The dream is dashed.
Jay's light a bold aura

Just across the way,
This glow a tease from
A faraway planet.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yesterday at 5:27 pm:
I don't think words are enough to describe my sincere fond love for this poem. I love that you based it off The Great Gatsby, one of my favorite novels of all time, including one of my favorite scenes in that novel. For me, the poem shows elements used the legendary Imagists, also one of my favorite literary groups. Your images were clear and definite, and unified to whole poem together to convey this ambiance of hopeless love. The use of alliteration in a couple of... (more »)

matthewclough replied...
yesterday at 6:59 pm :
Wow, thank you so much! I am sincerely honored and ecstatic to get some feedback, and I'm glad you enjoy it so much. Gatsby is also one of my favorite novels and it just felt like it fit with the ideas I was trying to convey. :)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 3:17 pm :
You certainly conveyed this scene precisely like in the book with eloquent wording. As a die-hard fan for this novel, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to write anything close to this stellar poem.