Reflection of a Streetlight on Water | Teen Ink

Reflection of a Streetlight on Water MAG

By matthewclough PLATINUM, Wichita, Kansas
matthewclough PLATINUM, Wichita, Kansas

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Pucker-lipped suckers
Gurgle to the surface
To goggle at the light.

A graceful swiftness
Of aqueous acrobatics
Sinks them into spiral.

Dusky shadows play
Atop the bubbly glass,
Illumination shatters.

Yet they fluidly glide
Back, flip frontwards to
That hopeful beacon,

Screaming against the
Silence, drowning out
Waves of glossy reason.

It is not wanted here.
Desire burns a shaded
Hollow through scales.

Curious allure triggers
Forward sprint circuits,
A passion to rival Gatsby's.

In the thin sparkly haven
They dwell without end,
Fish in a forgotten pond.

Pompously pressing on,
They lodge against muddy
Walls, brazen barriers.

For the flight is over,
The dream is dashed.
Jay's light a bold aura

Just across the way,
This glow a tease from
A faraway planet.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

You certainly conveyed this scene precisely like in the book with eloquent wording. As a die-hard fan for this novel, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to write anything close to this stellar poem. 

matthewclough PLATINUM, Wichita, Kansas

Wow, thank you so much! I am sincerely honored and ecstatic to get some feedback, and I'm glad you enjoy it so much. Gatsby is also one of my favorite novels and it just felt like it fit with the ideas I was trying to convey. :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I don't think words are enough to describe my sincere fond love for this poem. I love that you based it off The Great Gatsby, one of my favorite novels of all time, including one of my favorite scenes in that novel. For me, the poem shows elements used the legendary Imagists, also one of my favorite literary groups. Your images were clear and definite, and unified to whole poem together to convey this ambiance of hopeless love. The use of alliteration in a couple of the lines made the poem far more enjoyable to read, and demonstrate a passionate dedication to the art of poetry, and your undeniable talent. Congrats on the Editors' Choice; you deserve it by far. I really can't cease to rave about this poem. People need to read it!