I (As told by X) | Teen Ink

I (As told by X)

By IsaacR SILVER, San Diego, California
IsaacR SILVER, San Diego, California

Captain’s Log:

Who is the I?
Who is I?
Is I God?
No, it cannot be.
Explain once more.
“Mine” is that which belongs to I...

So, these children
On their play things in the park
With undying humility
Pronounce the most pleasing of toys
To be mine
This is mine, they say
This belongs to I, they mean
But who is the I?

How I must appreciate these offerings!
O, these noble young martyrs!
X only wonders how I must feel.
But this is the tame part of it;
For here comes another child.
This girl, in unmistakable terms,
Further declares the same toy
As belonging to I
But that is not all—
She negates his previous statement:
No, this is mine, she says
I found it first, she says

Who is I?

END.

I have always thought that the greatest purpose of satire is to make strange what is taken for granted, and I believe that the greatest means of attacking standards within a narrative is with the use of an outsider as a protagonist. In every "commentary narrative" piece I have written, I have created a protagonist who is, literally, an alien. It's been done before, surely (off the top of my head, I can think of Radiohead's "Subterranean Homesick Alien" as a piece with a nearly identical purpose to this one), but I cannot help myself; there is simply no better way to stir one's imagination and curiosity than to examine American society through the eyes of an alien. This poem, "I," is written from the perspective of an alien--the green, antenna kind--named X, who stumbles upon some earthly children quarreling in a park. The word "I" is foreign to him; he knows not what to make of the children's constant and conflicting usage of the word (verb? noun? adjective?). There is no singular, universal idea pertaining to the word; "I" is a complex word after all. After picturing the confusion and curiosity of an alien overhearing, "This is mine," "No, this is mine," without knowing the significance of "mine," I decided to write this poem, if you can call it a poem.