The Islands and the Bell This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

No man is an island
but I guess we're all fragmented
Strewn in shards and plastered
whitewash over super glue
like “I'm doing fine. Nice day.”
We don't ask about the bell
because we know for whom it tolls
They're in obituaries

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
If people don't understand this poem or understand the allusion to Hemingway's classic novel, it demonstrates how intelligent and cultured they are in literature. And dispells how much they "love" literature. Which cracks me up. I think everyone should at least know the title of these books. Anywho. I love how you alluded to this novel. I feel the emotion you imbue in this. I congratulate you for receiving the Editors' Choice; you deserve it with this spectacular poem. 5/5

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 7, 2013 at 10:56 pm :
Thank you so so much! That really does mean a ton to me. :) But if some people find it confusing, I will take full responsibility for that. ^.^

SwanSong This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like how this is broken up. The first part feels a little incomplete, just left hanging after plastered. I love the second part though (especially the Hemmingway reference) and the last line. Nice work!

OldYoungOne said...
I agree with nelejer the middle mentioning the bell is a little confusing.I kind f get though now that I really read over it a few times. I believe it's saying because we as humans aren't complete and don't want anyone to know it we ourselves act ignorant-- of ourselves and other people to cover the reality. The poem took on a deep meaning that turned especially dark. Seeing as I like dark poems 4/5

Aug. 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm :
Thanks! I appriciate the feedback. :)

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 10, 2013 at 12:18 am:
I like the first half but the second I'm having trouble annotating. The part about the bell... This is only because I suck at poetry. Really love the "We're all shattered bits that got super glued to something then we fake it with white wash."ness. Rock on.

Aug. 10, 2013 at 8:32 am :
I'm so glad you like it! And thanks a ton for the feedback, but I'm sure you don't suck at poetry. :P The bell part is essentially supposed to be about how individual people have disconnected themselves from mankind. When we hear funeral bells (which we probably don't, because no one used funeral bells anymore, lol), we don't feel the loss. We think that the only people to die are the ones we don't really know, and the first half of the poem is (partly) me trying to say that we don't really know... (more »)

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Superhero_Fan and Jade, thank you both so much. :) And perhaps I should have included something about this in the author's comments, but the reason this poem does not make much sense at face value is because it is actually somewhat of a reflection on a quote taken from John Donne's "Meditation 17". If you are interested, the quote is "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europ... (more »)

Superhero_Fan replied...
Aug. 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm :
Thanks for  clearing that up! It makes more sense now.

Superhero_Fan said...
Sunrise, I can't say much, but it deserved the editor's choice. I couldn't quite place what you meant by the bell though. And I didn't really get what the island meant either. I guess that's what I hate about commenting on short meaningful poems. I can't really get to the bottom of the deep mysteries of it as quickly as a long one! But I understand it takes a lot of hard work and effort to fit all of it into this short of a poem, so I congradulate you! Good job Sunrise.

Aug. 9, 2013 at 5:28 pm :
Thanks so much! I am sorry to have been vague, but hopefully the comment that I left will clear up some of your confusion. :)

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:15 am:
First of all, congrats on editor's choice! Well deserved :) I really liked this poem, your turn-of-phrase's are always witty and clever, they make you think. I understood it perfectly up until "We don't ask about the bell..." Then I was like ... what bell? :P But that's good, poems should make you think. While I haven't completely grasped this, I love the surprise ending and the metaphor and just everything......love it. 5/5 :)

Aug. 9, 2013 at 5:35 pm :
I feel like all I ever say to you is "thanks", but I am going to say it again. :P Thanks so much! I left a comment that will (hopefully) help the poem make a bit more sense, but I thought I would reply to your comment as well, just to make sure you knew I wasn't ignoring you. :P

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 9, 2013 at 6:09 pm :
thanks is enough :) i love your works!