The Alive and Few

Am I who I see when I close my eyes
Or am I the girl you thought you recognized
from the corner of yours

I will not pretend to understand the look I give myself
But instead must wonder after
glares caught in an elevator

We hand our kids a uniform for fear of leaving them unclothed
Or send them outside naked
thinking it is best to feel alive

But I have learned the difference between alert and cold
And taught myself to forge my own ID
So here's to the alive and few
But we'll dress the rest before they find their graves

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 11:18 am:
At first I thought this was about how you perceive yourself compared to how others see you...but then towards the middle the theme kind of changed. It started to (seemingly) be about trying to tell someone to be a certain way because that's how you think they should be? I don't know. This was a really well thought out poem, and I enjoyed reading it. Well, I like all your poems :P And btw, I especially liked your ending. 5/5 :) 

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 5:48 pm :
Thanks a ton! :) I'm sorry if you found this too confusing (I'm always working towards writing in a way where what I am trying saying will actually come across :P). But I think my idea behind this poem was that, in many ways, our identity is determined by how we are perceived. The ending was me trying to point out that not everyone accepts the way they look to others as reality, but a lot of people do.