1:23 AM

Laying in bed,
Counting the popcorn on the ceiling,
A swerve of the head,
Towards the alarm clock,
That reads 1:23 AM,
My heart sinks to my stomach,
My eyelids feel heavier with every passing second,
But the thoughts that fill my head,
Are what's keeping me awake tonight,
Every night,
And the memories of us,
Haunt my once peaceful subconscious,
Flashbacks to our first kiss,
Our first conversation,
Our last conversation,
Loud thumping in my temple,
Forces me to come back to the present,
I try to convince myself to stop thinking,
Just stop thinking,
Let it all fade away,
But obviously it's not that simple,
Nothing in life ever is,
Wisdom gained from the excruciating realization,
That I cannot let you go,
That I am in love with you,
And I know this cycle all too well,
I know that tonight I'll be thinking of you again,
I know that I'll be staring at the clock at 1:23 AM every night,
Until you are mine once more.

IronMan4EverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:30 am
I love how at first they sound over the other person, but in the end you realize they still want them. Great poem, it's beautiful! 

SamanthaW replied...
Thanks :) Yeah, that's exactly how I've been feeling lately. But anyway, I really appreciate your comments. 

KylieV This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is very relatable. I really liked the comparison of the ceiling being popcorn: "Laying in bed, counting the popcorn on the ceiling...". Towards the end of the poem I liked how the character came to their true realization that they are still in love with this person. "Wisdom gained from excruciating realization, that I cannot let you go..." Great poem!

SamanthaW replied...
Thank you! :) I appreciate the feedback.

Superhero_FanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Good job Sam! I'm sorry I can't say much, because I'm not very good with romance poems, but I liked it. You made me feel sorry for her, which is a great skill to have! I liked your discription of the celing. I never would've thought to write 'popcorn' into a discription! Keep writing!

SamanthaW replied...
Thanks for the feedback! :) I'm glad you liked it. Comments like this one make my day :)