Galway Guy

I clutch the pinstriped umbrella
as I stroll the old long walk.
Sitting on the park bench
a fella of blue eyes and black hair.
He clasps a ticket and whistles
the song of an Irish band.
I pardon myself to have a seat
and his accented gesture allows.
I ask where he is going
and he asks why a gal like myself
would sit with a guy like he.
Gazing into my gold laced compact
I check the paleness of my cheeks.
Shaking his tight gripped hand
his accent calls, ‘Nice to meet you.’
When I’m no longer in his sight
I dab some lipstick on my cheeks.
I twirl and mix the rouge color
as it blends into my pale skin.
Walking into the hospital
I go through the same miserable routine.
Again I stroll the old long walk
where I see the blue eyed fella.
‘May I walk with you?’ he asks
and I ask why a guy like he
would walk with a gal like me.
For a time we were silent
but that didn’t last long
and soon enough I knew it;
I’d fallen in love with a Galway guy.
I wondered about his ticket
and why he missed the train
but soon enough I knew it;
he’d fallen in love with an uptown girl.
We did this every other Wednesday
and each time I grew thinner
and my cheeks grew paler.
One afternoon I left the hospital
And there I saw blue eyes,
he followed me to the sullen building
where I discovered I have tuberculosis
that will soon take me away.
He asks for my hand in marriage
and says we haven’t got long.
So, I kiss the gentleman farewell
and I stroll the old long walk.
Soon I hear his whistling
not too far behind
and I run until my umbrella pirouettes
from my shaky hands.
He catches my fall and cradles my head
and I ask why a guy like he
would love a gal like me.
He kisses my forehead softly
and that’s when I got the last glance
of my Galway guy.

LoonyLoopyLupin said...
Everyone else has really delivered all the technical praises I would sing, so I will just say this: It made me want to cry. ... I loved it.

estucker1998 said...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:09 am
Oh my gosh. I absoltuely loved this. Simple, with a great story, great imagery, and wonderful word choice. Perfect. Simply perfect. 

SoulPoetry said...
This poem reminds me of any nicholas sparks novel, a sad Taylor Swift song, and Romeo and Juliet mixed into one! When i first read the title and the author's comments i didn't know what i was going to read. I'm amazed with what i've read! Rhyming scheme is spot on and the visuals are vivid. You could make this into a book!

MissExploration said...
This poem reminds me of books I have read similar to this story in a way. The way you made this poem, it seemed like it was placed in the past, not the present. To me, I can see this piece turn into a story. I want to know more about what happened to the girl and how she got Tuberculosis. I like how you kept repeating "blue eyes" throughout this piece.

Superhero_Fan said...
Great job Lexus! I'm glad I read this! It was wonderful. I haven't seen either movie, but it was good anyway. I kind of had the impression that this was in the past. Was my impression right? Anyway, good job, and keep writing!

sarah98 said...
awwwwwwww this is so beautiful and heartbreaking </3 i love it. it kind of reminds me of a nicholas sparks. it was so sad and romantic. great job!!!

OldYoungOne replied...
I enjoyed reading this poem. I myself can't write story poem (don't have the patience) but I love readign them so a job well done.

Mckay This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the background of this poem. IT'S SUCH A LOVE STORY! I'm a sucker for love stories. Wait! If they're too over the top, forget it. But this is plausible. I love the two characters. (One thing: I'm not sure if it should be a "guy like him" due to the with. You know: object of the preposition. I know, I'm a NERD!) Regardless, I love the emotion. And I need to see those two movies. I haven't watched them...yet. Brah, you've watched everything. Glad that m... (more »)

Fallenoutofgrace said...
I love the story behinfd the poem. I like how's its like the differnt tiers/zones. 5/5 srsrs

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the story behind this! Wow! This is you stepping out of your comfort zone, no? You've done well! I must know though...What is a galaway?

LexusMarie replied...
Thanks, nele! It's much appreciated. Yes, you could say that, I knew where I wanted this poem to go I just didn't know how I'd get it there.. it turned into this. And Galway is a city in Ireland. Thanks again!

Labradorian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:49 am
Although I sort of wish you would turn this into a full blown story, it has a certain charm as a poem, and the repition really accentates the plot line. A very enjoyable read.

LexusMarie replied...
I have thought of turning this into a story, as I don't have many posted, so I am taking it into consideration. Thanks for the feedback! It's much appreciated.

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 9, 2013 at 1:14 am
If my vote counts for anything, yeah! You should turn it into a story!