Monochromatic Rainbow | Teen Ink

Monochromatic Rainbow

By SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey
SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

when I tried to
paint you by number,
I unlocked colors
I never knew existed,
but you took that pallet
when you escaped
from this gruesome place
and left me with nothing
but a monochromatic rainbow
to paint no one
but myself.
but, when you escaped,
you set me free of
my bond to you,
and to think,
this year I will
grow into a body
you will never
have touched,
and I'll paint it all
in a monochromatic rainbow.

on Jan. 4 2014 at 12:44 am
BandGeekAndProud PLATINUM, Burlington, Massachusetts

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein

I loved the ending, but I just didn't feel the middle for some reason. The concept was very nice, but I felt as if it were missing something, you know? 4/5

author_musical PLATINUM, Torrington, Wyoming

Sweetie, if you're going to be two faced, at least make one of them pretty. - Marilyn Monroe

Good poem. I truly enjoyed reading it. It flows well and I can picture the colors sort of draining from the rainbow when this person left... I can totally relate. Truly intriguing.

AnnieKate GOLD said...
on Aug. 14 2013 at 11:25 am
AnnieKate GOLD, Centerville, Utah
Very descriptive and easy to picture. Very nice. 

StarlitSunrise DIAMOND, Clemmons, North Carolina

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." ~Camille Pissarro

This is such an interesting concept. I like how the poem tells a story, but is still a bit abstract. To me, the poem seems to end on a somewhat hopeful note, but I definitely still feel some tension. I still feel like there is more I want to know, which is an awesome way to end a poem. Great work!

MissExploration BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

It Can Only Fly When It Needs To.

Amazing! Absolutely amazing! I love how you incorporated art into this poem.

kikixkupkake GOLD, San Marcos, California

"The things that walk out when we open our minds." -Dylan McCoy

Oh, my, goodness. Here I go. First off, let me say I love this so much. I felt like it trailed on a bit and some pieces could have been left out, but at the same time, having the middle makes it sound like thoughts on paper. Second, the beginning, as always, was so strong and intriguing I had to keep reading just to see how it ended, and I was not disappointed. The title got me excited, so i already had a feeling it was gonna be great. (It was!) Third, that picture suits this poem so well, you should search the artist and tell them you used it for your poem so they can read it any look at the GREAT use of that picture! Fantastic. All the little elements truly made this poem worth reading. I enjoyed this a lot.

RozaAlexander, Amory, Mississippi

rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, & accepted by idiots.

I agree, I dont really have much to say its a good piece of work and i love it.

CasimirPulaski SILVER, Columbia, Connecticut
To be completely honest, i have no suggestions for this. I really love it. I have recently discovered the power of a sort of runon sentence/blurt style poem and i enjoy what you have done here a lot! Maybe some words are a little repetative like you and but, although i think it works in a way... Nice piece!

BlackbeltJames GOLD, Reading, Other

Isaac Asimov - "Intelligence is an accident of evolution, and not necessarily an advantage.”

Again, a clever idea and one that is well put together; it is simplistic and it makes the relationship easier to understand. You will know from reading my other comments about capital letters so I wont linger on them. I also agree that the title is very intriuging and stands out from a lot of dull titles.
Nice one :) 

WriteOrWrong BRONZE, Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it. -Maura Stuard

How should be show and ignore few.

The title automatically intrigued me. There is a lot of beauty but it could be enhanced. I love this relationship you discussed, maybe you could make that a stronger contrast. How that difference in a more organized way. The line 'this year I will grow into a body you will never have touched' fascinated me. I feel like that could be a potential compass to few direct the poem. Curious, I like this colorful talk :)