Sinners Just the Same | Teen Ink

Sinners Just the Same MAG

By SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey
SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

someone once told me that
shooting stars are nothing more
than angels throwing
away their cigarettes before
god could catch them.
lambs for slaughter,
we're waiting for just another smoke-filled lobby
inhabited with sinners just the same
as you and me.

on Jan. 4 2014 at 12:51 am
BandGeekAndProud PLATINUM, Burlington, Massachusetts

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein

This was great - I love the idea that even angels are corrupted. Dark, but almost humorous.

OldYoungOne said...
That soubds like an efficient idea, you are welcome

tori-gurl PLATINUM, Norwich, New York

smile through everything no matter how bad it gets because it could be worse and if it gets worse well then it can only get better. :)

I think this is a great satire about smoking, because you dont expect angels to be doing such "sins" It really makes you think! Very good job! :)

east_of_ada said...
east_of_ada, Null, Other

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off." (via Anne Sexton,"For My Lover, Returning To His Wife")

"I think I made you up inside my head.'' (via Sylvia Plath, "Mad Girl's Love Song")

"You called it cosmic; I thought it was icy." (via Ada Coen)

same here~! but still your poem came out just lovely my dear~!

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Irreverant, but funny! I like this. I may not agree, but its a thought, and a plithy one, at that. It gave angles the feel of naughty teens and kinda made me think of "The Trouble With Angles" (really good movie.) I enjoyed this! Nice work!

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

Thank you! I don't typically write about religion and God because I'm not a very religious person, but I love their symbolism in writing and I love seeing different takes on them. I'll have to check out yours sometime!

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

Thank you so much! :D

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

I've considered adding more to it, but I can't seem to find a way to extend the thought without being reduntant. I've also considering making it a series of short poems along the same lines. Thank you for the feedback!

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

I love hearing other's interpretation of my work! Thank you! :3

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

That would be correct! Thank you ^_^

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

I don't typically write about religion, as I'm not a very religious person, but I couldn't pass up this idea when it came to me. I appreciate your open mind to other people's ideas! Thank you :D

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

Haha, thank you!

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

Thank you!

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

As picky as I am about grammar in writing, I usually throw it all to the wind with poetry x) Thanks!

SwanSong SILVER, Millville, New Jersey

Thank you! :D

AnnieKate GOLD said...
on Aug. 14 2013 at 11:23 am
AnnieKate GOLD, Centerville, Utah
The angels thing is hilarious, and the poem is beautiful. Great job! 

TargonTheDragon GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri

First dentistry was painless.
Then bicycles were chainless,
Carriages were horseless,
And many laws enforceless.

Next cookery was fireless,
Telegraphy was wireless,
Cigars were nicotineless,
And coffee caffeineless.

Soon oranges were seedless,
The putting green was weedless,
The college boy was hatless,
The proper diet fatless.

New motor roads are dustless,
The latest steel is rustless,
Our tennis courts are sodless,
Our new religion — godless.

although i dont agree that heaven will be like this, i definetly love the poem. youve taken a point of veiw that not many people do. its beautiful. 5/5 for sure:D

StarlitSunrise DIAMOND, Clemmons, North Carolina

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." ~Camille Pissarro

I must say, I have honestly never read anything like this before—and I love that! Am I correct in thinking that you are comparing heaven to a “smoke filled lobby”? If so, you are very creative! It is too easy to become cliché with poems like this, but you were able to remain unique and relevant. Great work!

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

This is SO pretty. To me, I don't know, it meant that heaven might not be as perfect as we expect, or.....whatever the meaning (I'm thinking its a little more than that) I really liked this, and the metaphor was so well done. 5/5 :)

CatchAFallingStar PLATINUM, Pearland, Texas

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was." - Unknown

This is beautifully written. I love the beginning. And the way that you wrote this without capitilization reminds me of e.e. cummings' poetry. Great job, I can see why this got Editor's Choice :)